My quarterly tax payment.?

I'm self-employed & pay quarterly taxes, why are my payments that I mailed in not being cashed ? I have two payments out. IS the government that far behind ? 

• L

Your Quarterly Tax Payments MUST be deposited through a bank.

• Babe

It is likely that IRS is behind, but the post office is bogged down too.  

You could make your payments on line and get them processed on the day you want and not worry about the mail delivery or people problems.  Go to https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and set up a payment account for periodic payments or go to www.irs.gov and select Payments on the left side of the top banner. 

Source(s): Been there/done that.

If you sent payments to the IRS Service Center, yes they are that far behind.  If you sent them to the drop box address they would be cashed promptly.

FWIW, I mailed a 1040-ES payment in on 7/15 to a PO lockbox..  It was cashed 7/27.

Everything else I did electronically with either EFTPS.GOV or DIRECT PAY at IRS.GOV.

YES is the answer.  Due to Covid-19, the federal government laid off many employees and sent many others to work at home.  Things like checks or tax returns submitted for manual processing are extremely back logged.