Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Should it be illegal to force a person to show ID becuase someone else is buying alcohol?

Say you and a friend are in the grocery store. She wants to buy beer. When we get to the counter, the asshole behind the counter needs to see my ID to let my friend buy beer. She is the one buying, not me. And he let an older geezer with a toddler buy alcohol with no problem, yet they refuse to sell my friend. Do you think it is discrimination and illegal?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, since it is just illegal to sell alcohol to minors.

Source(s): Reality.
  • 2 months ago

Nope, not discrimination nor illegal. There's a phrase for it: refusing a third party sale.

If the cashier has any concern that a person is buying alcohol to hand over to an underage companion, it's illegal to complete the transaction. In most states, tobacco is treated the same way.

Presumably, a toddler isn't asking Grandpa to buy him booze.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is their store and they can have whatever policy they want. 

If you do not like ti then buy your beer down the street.

Remember, when you get wasted and then drive your car into a tree your parents are going to sue the store for selling your irresponsible friend beer in the first place. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

As others have said, fully legal, and it is likely they wanted to prevent the possibility of a straw sale.

That being said, it's not very good business sense for 2 reasons:

1. They may be obligated to check the ID of the buyer, but they have no legal obligation to ID check that person's entire entourage. Their liability ends with the person who hands them the money.

2. They can't prevent it anyway, every person they refuse to sell to based on who is with them will just go somewhere else where they'll happy accept paying customers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can always argue it's discriminatory.  The store will argue that your friend was buying for you.

Your "a$$hole" and "geezer" comments make me believe if it IS discriminatory, no attorney is going to represent you.

• 2 months ago

Totally legal and it is to avoid the risk of a Straw Sale. The cashier clearly thinks your friend might be purchasing for you. Just go to another store and let your friend go in alone and buy there. Also to the comment about just walk out, that wouldn't work they would simply refuse to sell to your friend as if you walk out at that point they are almost sure she is buying for you. Sure she could buy it and give it to someone underage outside, BUT what are they going to do to stop that?

• 2 months ago

Not illegal.  Clearly a toddler is not consuming.  You very well might be.

• 2 months ago

at that point, you should walk out ... then she's alone and can buy beer on her ID, right?  [She just can't give you the case inside the store ... once it's outside the door, you're good carrying it even if underage

• 2 months ago

The cashier is ensuring that the purchase isnt being made for an underage person..  If you were under 21, she has the legal right to refuse the sale to your friend.

Its discrimination, but its LEGAL discrimination.   Shes making a discrimination to determine if the alcohol sale itself is legal.

Not likely that a toddler is having grandpa buy alcohol for her.   Not uncommon for someone underage to try to get a 21+ friend/sibling/cousin to buy the drinks.

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't see what business it is of theirs who you are and what your age might be  . Some times the people we encounter are not the sharpest knife in the drawer .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.