Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

Physics question?

During a rocket launch, an astronaught experinces a "g-force" (actually an

acceleration) of 3.0 gs [upward], which is equal to three times the acceleration

due to gravity. If the astronaut weighs 79.4 kg, what is her apparent weight during

the acceleration?

• NCS

Your question could be interpreted two ways.

Assuming she experiences a *kinematic* acceleration of 3 g's, then her apparent weight is

F = m*(g + 3g) = 4gm = 4 * 9.81m/s² * 79.4kg = 3120 N

to three significant digits, and I'd go with that answer.

But if the "3 g's" she experiences *includes* the g due to gravity, then

F = 3mg = 2340 N

• oubaas

acceleration = g(3-(-1) = 4gs

AW = m*4gs =  79.4*9.807*4/1000 = 3.115 kN 

Why did I see an almost identical question 4 days ago?  The astronaut does not WEIGH 79.4 kg.  She has a MASS of 79.4 kg.  Precision is vital.  The relative acceleration is 4g so F = 4 * g * 79.4 N

Sorry, my answer is "Anonymous" as your post is Anonymous. There is no need for an Anonymous question in this category, Most 'Anonymous' posts are trolls, maybe yours is not, but the high likelihood is there. If you post as yourself, I would be glad to help you with any problem you have.

I spend a lot of time on each problem, I just want to make sure it's for a worthwhile cause.