Anonymous

Am I racist for noticing a person's race when first seeing/meeting them?

To specify, I have never said or had the desire to say something offensive for hurtful to a person that isn't my race. I have never wished any ill will on anyone not my race.

This is not about any race specifically, but whenever I see someone in like a picture or a video, I usually first take notice of a person's race. I don't make any sort of comment about it, I don't judge anyone for it. But whenever I think it, I feel really guilty.

Am I racist for first taking notice of a person's race? It doesn't make me feel any different towards that person, but I'm just wondering if I'm racist for doing it.

Not at all.  Ethnic minority people don't want you to be blind to their identity because that would lead to them being treated unfairly.  There's a phenomenon in mixed-ethnicity families where white parents of relatively dark-skinned children fail to appreciate their difficulties which arise from racism in majority white environments.  This is precisely because they don't "notice" their children's ethnicity.  It isn't anti-racist to be "race-blind".

No in much the same way you are not sexist for noticing the gender of the person.  If you comment or make assumptions or take action on it that's when you may potentially become racist.

• Zirp

Yes, definitely.

A non-racist would notice the skincolour. Scientifically there are no races of humans.

No I don't think that's racist. I notice a person's race too, just as I would notice their hair color or what they're wearing. I think as long as you don't think anything of it, you're all good. 

What race are you?