Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How to overcome fear of rejection? ?

I met a girl while we were both being treated for addiction issues. We got along quite well and exchanged phone numbers, and though we both completed inpatient care, we still see each other a couple of times a week during outpatient care. 

In addition to supporting each other in recovery, she mentioned remaining friends outside of treatment. The thing is, even though she has said I am a 'really cool guy,' and 'pretty great,' I still have a terrible fear of rejection and as such do not often reach out to her to maintain the friendship. This obviously becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, as any friendship which is not maintained obviously inevitably fades. 

So ... how does one overcome fear of rejection and/or losing a friendship? 

I think being friends with someone that is a recovering addict comes with far greater risks than simply worrying about rejection. You would be much better off facing your fear by getting involved with someone that is not a recovering addict, in my opinion.