Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Just yesterday my car (2008 Toyota Prius) had a stolen Catalytic converter and our cameras had no sight of the thieves. What should I do?

Besides alerting the authorities 

It took me a minute to figure out why someone would want to steal the cat out of a Prius, but then I found out they have rhodium and palladium in them.

I would report it to the authorities, get it fixed, and then probably rig up a large capacitor, with bare wires mounted on insulators near the bolts for the cat, then just sit back and listen for the sounds of excruciating pain....

Note to self. Park Prius in better place for camera to watch car.

• Erik

Get a new one?  I was at the mechanic's when I heard of the very same thing happening (I think it was a Prius too).  I think they were going to charge thousands.  Unless you're rich, go to the poor part of town to get it repaired.

Never drive the car again or go have another converter installed.

Get the cat converter replaced and file a claim if your car insurance covers it.  It might also be time to move to a more safer neighborhood.

• ?

Replace the catalytic after contacting your insurance company to see if you have theft insurance and contact the manufacturer of the cameras and find out why they failed. What else can you do?