Who is right, me or my friend? He says that the essence of Christianity is to be simple: believing in Christ, speaking tungs, talking to God?

, and being inspired by the Holy Spirit to pray. He claims that I overstudy and became a satanically proud person. He says that it is wrong because Pharisees also were highly intelligent people, but they fall and rejected Jesus.

I argue that his accusations are not just. I can study a lot, question my the doctrines of my religion, and be pleasing to God.

I believe that he is a fanatic, that he if dark savage, that most evangelical believers are like him: they have a cult of ignorance, they afraid of everything. They believe in all kinds of nonsense, including conspiracy theories and anti-sciencey tales. Many of them hate science, medicine, philosophy, other religions, other thinkers, atheists, and gays.

When Stephen Hawkins died, I observe a non-stop flow of sarcasm, hate, and gloating from Christians in relation to dr. Hawking. 

Your faith serves you better through devotion to the 'truth', rather than dedication to "being right".  

You're more right than he is, but neither is perfectly in the right.  God gave us science to help solve a lot of our problems.

Neither of you are entirely wrong, but neither of you are entirely right. A caricature of Christianity is being presented mingled with some truth. First, evangelical Christians are those who spread the good news (the evangel) about Jesus Christ. They believe the Bible and they believe science that is factual. Many evangelicals are scientists. And many evangelicals abhor the gibberish of those claiming to have a special gift for that, when the Bible shows it was a gift to speak foreign languages (unknown to the Christians) to spread the good news about Christ. It wasn't gibberish.

The other night I could only stand a few minutes TV of an American convention where it was all loud, fast, non-stop talking (for the opening, lengthy prayer) then a woman started shouting in a monotone unintelligible words (while the band played on). Appalling. Dishonoring to God and Christ. There are many millions of Christians who think as I do on that, Catholics and Protestants. And they also were grieved at Stephen Hawkin's death.

Other answers have already quoted the Bible to support our disagreement with the extremists you also find obnoxious. They do not represent the Christianity of the Bible, but the modern version of some cults dominated by people out to get a following after themselves, not Christ - they only use His holy name as a cover.

2 Timothy 2:15-16

King James Version

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

• The essence of Christianity is believing in the POWER OF GOD to raise your "DEAD spirit" up (Romans 1:16) "Like as Christ was raised up by the glory of the Father" (Romans 6:3-4)!

Jesus made His Spirit available to us with Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5) when He "chooses and ordains us" (John  15:16) to become TRUE Christians (I Corinthians 12:11-13)!

AFTER His "POWER comes upon us" (Acts 1:8) with Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5) we become  "ALIVE AGAIN" (Ephesians 2:1) and are "joined to His Spirit" (I Corinthians 6:17) as "He gives us commandments" (Acts 1:2) DIRECTLY "from heaven" (John 3:27; 5:30) .

Believe it or not we have everything that Jesus had when He walked the face of the earth (John 14:12).

"UNBELIEF" (Revelation 21:8)!

"GOD HATES YOU"  (Proverbs 6:16-19)!

Source(s): THUS SAITH THE LORD! "REPENT" FROM LYING CATHOLIC DOCTRINE! CATHOLIC DOCTRINE! LET MY PEOPLE GO!

Sounds like two sides of the same religious bigotry.

"God recalled the gift of tongues when his Holy Bible was completed and disseminated. Its no longer necessary."

I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

1 Corinthians 14:5

But Moses replied, "Are you jealous on my account? I wish that all the LORD's people were prophets and that the LORD would place His Spirit on them!"

Numbers 11:29

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;..

Mark 16:17

to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in various tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:10

And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:28

The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 

1 Corinthians 14:4

What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church.

1 Corinthians 14:26

I used to berate my wife because her philosophy was to be Christ like and mine was to hyper intense on the word, confessing the word et al

and then I read this

Michah 6:8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?

And I realized she was right. Its not in the head, its in the heart

>>>He says that the essence of Christianity is to be simple: <<<

Read....

2 Corinthians 11:3 KJV — I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

God recalled the gift of tongues when his Holy Bible was completed and disseminated. Its no longer necessary. Just read and believe Gods every word, and put lessons learned into daily practice.

Christian means Christlike.

Romans 8:29 — For God chose us to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

While he understands GOD, , where is his emphasis on aiding and loving his fellow man, bringing them to CHRIST?