Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 2 months ago

How does it make you feel when you talk to someone who has a mental disorder or disability?

I have Veteran friends suffering from PTSD, so don't think anything of it.

not sure. it depends on what kind of disorder they have

• Kathy

Weird in a way.............

I'm RIGHT at HOME......😂😂😂😂

If I know them, they're just like any other person, to me. I'm a nurse, and I've got lots of AMAZING elderly patients, (I work at a nursing home), that have various mental disorders. And I just talk about their issues with them, as it comes up, in a very natural way. And also, MOST of the time..? Talk about their lives, and what the weather is like today, and any old thing we feel like discussing. 

I remember, when I was still a nursing student, interning at a mental hospital for the first time..? And meeting people with serious mental illness, like schizophrenia, bipolar, schizoaffective, etc, for the first time..? I was like: "how do I TREAT these people?? How do I talk to them??" Turns out..? In exactly the same way as you talk to ANY other person! And.. you just get to know them, and who they are, and what they're interested in. Just like with ANY other person. :P

Anyway... Since then, I've also gone and met the love of my life, who also just so happens to have bipolar 1, and deal with manic and psychotic symptoms frequently. And.. we talk about that, and how he's doing mentally, but we also talk about ALL the other things!! And he's just my person. And my boo. ALWAYS. I've gotten used to his moods being all over the place, and it doesn't really worry me, unless he goes into HEAVY prolonged episode mode, and loses his footing completely. But yeah.. We can very openly and frankly talk about it! And call things exactly what they are. And also, joke about it! In fact, we joke about it a LOT!! Which helps us get through it. Definitely do recommend that, to anyone who's dealing with this kind of stuff, in their lives. Things always have WAY more power over you, if you can't even joke about it! And.. mental illness, too, is just something that people deal with, that you have to make the best out of! And take the good with the bad. Because I know, at least with my love..? There are certainly PLENTY of good things about him being exactly the person that he is, too!! To the point that, I would not wish for him NOT to be bipolar. Even if that were possible. I wouldn't change a thing. <3