Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 2 months ago

What can we do to get more women to go into STEMs?

Colleges now favor women 2 to 1 in STEM hiring.   Trump signed the INSPIRE act to help women in STEMS, but still women prefer easier fields.   

Obama promised feminists he’d place quotas on men entering STEMs, but it never happened.   Is this what is needed?

Favorite Answer

Why should we coerce people to go into fields they don't want to?   

What we should do in my opinion is offer equal opportunity and let people choose what they want.  There are reasons why women overall choose STEMS less than men (Though I've read women actually go into math more than men, so that's only 3/4 true at best).   

It doesn't matter if an app I download to my phone was created by a man or a woman.  What matters is it was created by someone who was competent.   We don't see people making a big deal about female dominate fields and shouldn't about male dominated fields either.

Getting upset about the ratio of men to women in a field makes about as much sense as getting upset about the ratio of hair color that's represented.   

• zvo

STEMs should advanced by aptitude and results.  People should not be involved because race, religion or gender [neither should they be excluded because race, religion or gender ].

Or more simply - STEMs should be merit based only.

None. Why should you? Because the gender doesn’t matter... And men are doing a good job at it. Don’t fix what’s not broken.

Has it ever occured to you that maybe women are not that interested in STEMs?

The only thing is needed to be done, not to discourage women who actually want to study. "you're just a woman" etc.

Quotas? Heck no. I want to be accepted as I deserve it, not because I am a woman!!

With quotas I will always doubt myself why I got that place.

• bill

We keep hearing how women are so disadvantaged but on every radio and tv show i listen to and watch all of the experts,managers,spokespeople,reporters  are women these days.

targeted advertising to potential lesbians....less stigma surrounding who is the breadwinner.

When a woman wants to enter STEM she shall. When; she shant she shant. Do not interfere where you opinion is not wanted. Women are not children such as you feminists believe they are. We will make up our own minds. Thank you very much. Besides; women on the whole have no interest in STEM fields. Feminists are not paying attention to this and keep on pushing it and turn around and blame the male gender because we have no interest. We have no interest because of us not men.

• Bill

Yawn. Did you notice that it boys that are struggling in school and not going to college as often? How about encouraging boys to be excellent for a change. Really, how far ahead are we going to push girls until we realize that boys are being left behind? 

Advantage women

Advantage women

Advantage women

Advantage women

Advantage women

Advantage women

That's is all we have heard on repeat for as long as I have been alive and yet all throughout that time boys and men have been getting worse and worse. Did republicans or democrats notice or care at any point that they are destroying men and boys? Nope. They just keep doing it over and over decade after decade not even caring even for a moment that men have caught on to what they are doing. 

And Trump passing pro feminist agenda trash like that is why I believe he should lose. We need a president that doesn't do the bidding of feminists for a change. 

Companies would trip over each other to hire female STEM employees.   If women aren't interested in the field, not sure what else we can do.   I do chuckle at the suggestion that sexism is the reason the interest is so low.  Utter horseshit.

• teach kids about science. already women are going toward stems jobs anyway