Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Have you ever watched the show "The Cosmos"? ?

What was your impression of it? Do you like Neil Degrasse Tyson ? Did he not seem like an environmentalist too? I thought the show was good but then he mentioned "global warming" being a likely candidate for another possible mass extinction event. How would that even be possible??? Isn't "global warming" an opinion and not fact? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • JimZ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I kind of like Tyson but sometimes he smokes too much grass.  He got in trouble last year after pouring water over the media's attempt to hype gun violence after some mass shootings.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/neil-degrasse-ty...

The fascist left has to attack anyone that doesn't toe their line word for word.  It would be nice if "The Grass" Tyson would just leave them instead of apologizing to them.  Their latest crap with BLM is going to backfire and force a lot of decent minorities out of the Democrat party IMO but the dems are too stupid and hate crazed to realize it.  I am hopeful anyway that it will backfire on them. 

• Vela
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes.  I owe a copy of it, and the original with Sagan on dvd.

It's so well done if everyone on earth watched it the world would be a better place.  Neil does a great job.

Watch the global warming episode again. You seemed to not understand.  No. It's not opinion.  AGW is a scientific fact as spelled out clearly in that episode.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

republicans are dupes

• 2 months ago

No, I've never watched Cosmos, although I have seen Tyson on other shows. Global warming is neither opinion nor fact. It is a theory and, thus, greater than either. Something does not get to be a theory without tons of evidence to support it. Examples: Germ Theory, Atomic Theory, Theory of Gravity (more inclusive than the "Law of Gravity").

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tyson was an affirmative action hire. The only reason Neil deGrasse Tyson is on television at all, given his intellectual shortcomings, is that he is black.

He’s more left-wing propagandist than rigorous thinker. His reboot of Cosmos was saturated with progressive garbage designed to appeal to liberal-minded students and lefty geeks.

• Dirac
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

No, I've never seen it.  I might have seen one episode of the original, with Carl Sagan.

Tyson is a very smart person, and it's certainly possible that global warming could lead to a mass extinction event if left unchecked.  Although science-ignorant people try to claim that it's not known whether humans are causing the warming or not, among actual scientists there is very little doubt. Some papers have shown the connection at a scientific "gold standard" of greater than 99.9 percent probability that human emissions from fossil fuels or warming the planet.

How could it lead to a mass extinction? The climate is changing extremely rapidly, much more rapidly than happens in typical Milankovich cycles. The rapid increase of CO2 in the atmosphere is not only leading to warming, it's also decreasing the pH of the ocean, a process that chemists call "acidification" (the ocean will remain alkaline, however).  The acidification lowers the supersaturation of carbonate ions in seawater, making it more difficult for every shell-building organism in the ocean.  You could have things dying off in the ocean at the same time that biomes get displaced poleward on land.  While some species can adapt, others may not be able to because it's happening so rapidly. Consider a forest, all the trees and the plants and animals that live there can't just pick up and move.

EDIT: By the way, when Clown Crusher says "Peer review shows...", what he really means is that he saw a blog on the internet that said that. He can't actually come up with peer reviewed studies that support the things he claims, although sometimes he gives links to peer reviewed studies and SAYS that they support what he says, but they almost never do.

• 2 months ago

I haven't seen that one.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Gloobal Warming is not a fact.  It's a term describing a phenomenon some have observed.  Man made gloobal warming is certainly not a fact.  It's an opinion or conclusion drawn from facts (or observations from studies).

Anyway, it doesn't matter because there are no practical, negative effects.  Peer review (see graphic below) contradicts what alarmists say.  I've been posting this since last fall:

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Global warming is a fact, not an opinion. The world is warming and humans are causing it.

If you like Neil deGrasse Tyson and trust his judgement, then instead of letting your preconceived notions about global warming change that, consider changing your preconceived notions about global warming.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You lack basic intelligence to be interesting

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.