Is now a good time to go to nursing school?

I really enjoy the work life balance I have now. I work 9-5 no weekends or holidays, get fringe benefits at work And make a pretty decent salary. I just hate the job and the duties it entails. I would prefer to be a nurse , When I can hone in on my passion for science and helping people. 

I know it is a bad time with the pandemic and I would love to keep my work life balance but I know to get through school I would have to leave my job. I am middle age with 3 kids to support. My xhusband is still in their lives supporting them as well so I wouldn’t be the only means of support but I am the primary. What should I do? Give up my job that makes me miserable while I prove a great living for my kids or pursue my dream? I have some money I can survive off of while in school but not too much

You won’t work 9-5 as a nurse. Everyone wants those jobs, I have a friend that works as a clinic manager and she gets 50+ applications for that ONE job. Not kidding. I got a nursing degree and by 2030 they suspect a surplus of nurses in the majority of states. The jobs you’ll get will be hours no one wants to work, go into ultrasound tech or lab tech. Nursing is not a shortage that everyone says.

I have a family member who has been a nurse for 10 years and she still works weekends

• edward

Nursing school isn’t easy, it’s harder later in life because you have to hit pause.  Clinical hours are also a pain since whoever you are partnered with...the shift they work, you work.  If i’m working nights, my student is working nights.  If i’m working 12 hour shifts (the norm) so is my student.  You get the jist.  It won’t be easy and the shift work is killer...that’s why i changed my job

• :)

Becoming a nurse takes 2-4 years. By then this pandemic will be behind us, and we will have a vaccine. You’re not really going to be dealing with the pandemic much, as a student nurse.

I am a new nurse, entering the job during the pandemic. How bad it is depends on the specialty. I’m labor and delivery, so I often forget that Covid is a thing until we get a few Covid positive moms. Nursing is my passion so if anything a pandemic fuels me even more to join the field and help.

You could honestly get an associates degree first, and then have your job give you extra time/money to work on your bachelor degree. I’m saying this as someone who went directly for her BSN: I wish I got my ADN first. It would have been cheaper and faster. 

Before taking pre-req classes or even applying to nursing school, please keep doing your research and due diligence, including some "job shadowing" (with prior staff approval).

Nursing school requires a LOT of reading, study and learning.  RNs may even need to know as much as medical doctors but have different job tasks.

The nursing student is supposed to be strong in science-related classes and getting accepted into nursing school is competitive.

This website has more general career info:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ and can type into search.  

Just an fyi that most hospitals and medical centers apparently either prefer or require RNs with at least a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing), including for the emergency department (ED), labor & delivery (L&D) nursing, pediatric nursing, and/or psychiatric nursing.

You are asking several different questions:

1. Now is a great time to become a nurse because there are nursing shortages.

2. It is very hard to go to nursing school part-time, so you need to think about the number of years you'd need to attend and how you would handle the lack of income.

3.  If you hate your job, you can look for a different job without totally changing your career. Think about whether it is the job or the entire field and career that you hate.  

4.  The vast majority of nurses do work in hospital setting where they work 12-hour shifts and have to take night and weekend shifts every month.  Only you can decide if this is a viable option given the ages of your children and whatever help you may get in parenting from your ex.  Who would stay with your kids when you work night shifts?  Who would watch them on weekends?  Who will get them ready for school or watch them after school if you shift start earlier than school or runs later?

5. Would you be willing to take less pay in order to work in a doctor's office or clinic with more standard hours?

Why not start by investigating nursing programs.  What programs are near you? What are the entrance requirements and do you have them?  What is the cost? How do you apply for student loans?  Once you have more information, you can then take the next step and apply.  You don't have to make the final decision until you have been accepted into a program.  

So how would you pay for things? Maybe you need to explore that option first--save more, look at loan options, you could need reliable child care too. You would figure 3 years for an associates degree and 4 years for a bachelors with little to no income and you must have child support because you cant really miss days in nursing school. This is a decision only you can make but you need to realistically plan because you have some serious responsibilities to consider. (and you may not even get in for a year or so too)