Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is there any medicine for narcissism?

My sister has narcissistic disease. are there any medications to help treat the illness?

Mostly likely not

Source(s): Brother of a Narcissist
  • LAN

Why do you keep posting obvious lies about your family here over and over?  The only narcissist is you constantly begging for attention here over and over by posting the same idiocy again and again.

Over the years, I have spoken to psychologists and psychiatrists whose opinions concerning whether or not narcissists were capable of changing vary widely. Some of these experts are steadfast in their conviction that narcissists absolutely and unequivocally will not change.

On the other hand, others think change is possible only if the narcissist is willing to undergo CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) that is provided by a NPD specialist.

Additionally, narcissists have been known to benefit by supplementing their CBT therapy with other specialized treatments such as DBT or Schema therapy. It should be mentioned some patients respond well to medication in addition to the foregoing treatments.

From my lay persons’s perspective, it makes sense to me that someone who is motivated to want to change and is willing to do what would amount to very hard work in therapy can get better..

I think a patient who is willing to embrace therapy would have to be resilient because it is my understanding improvement is usually punctuated with occasional backsliding.

I think an important issue that is not often discussed concerns the nature of narcissistic defenses. When a narcissist is feeling grandiose, the narcissist, in turn, feels all powerful, all knowing, and perfect. I would think doing something to try to cease feeling this way would likely not be an appealing option.

**Why Narcissists Would Likely Find Engaging In Therapy To Be An Unappealing Choice**

A successful course of therapy concerns patients arriving at an ah-ha moment whereby they come to understand the genesis and/or true nature of their underlying psychological problem. I would think that having such an epiphany would naturally promote feelings of psychic relief.

On the other hand, I can imagine if narcissists were to engage in therapy which ultimately culminated in their realization that they were not any more special and/or superior to others, they would likely find such a realization to be more disconcerting than relief inspiring.

If I were in a narcissist’s shoes, I might be inclined to think myself, “I had engaged in rigorous therapy in an effort to enhance my life. Now that I truly understand the nature of the my psychological challenges, I have gone from feeling superior to feeling inferior. Thanks, doc.”

I am aware that ultimately there is gold at the end of therapeutic rainbow; however, I mention the foregoing to acknowledge why narcissists would likely not necessarily be inclined to travel down that road..

• Andy C

Yes.  It's called being voted out of office. 

• JJ

Diet 7-Up is the cure.