Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How important are lower control arms?

My mechanic told me that i need both lower control arms replaced 

Can i postpone this or is it a life and death kind of repair

lower control arms are the load bearing arms when your shocks are mounted on them, for a double wishbone setup, for a McPherson suspension, lower arm is just guiding the wheel, you can definitely postpone the repair if their is  a  small bend in the arms, but not for too long, specially if you have relatively new tyres, if your control arms in very bad shape or have caught rust, i would suggest you to replace them immediately , as with fatigue they will fall off in no time,and that can also damage your shocks and can lead to a bad accident if one or both of them breaks!, i would definitely suggest you to replace you arms if money is not the issue, specially if you have double wishbone suspension with shocks mounted on lower arms, or a McPherson suspension step. 

(if you don't know your cars suspension setup search the internet)

(pic-replace your arms immediately if they look like these)   

You can postpone it but you'll be replacing tires every month depending on how bad it is.

• F

Postpone it and you’ll need two new front tyres as well .

• Erik

It depends on how bad they are.  I like it when my mechanic shows me what he is talking about.  I had a bent control arm once, really bad, and it made the tire on that side wear out very rapidly.

Sounds like an up-sell but without any info at all it's impossible to say. Why did you even bother asking this question?

If you don't trust your Mechanic why would you ask a bunch of people that know nothing about your car and can't see it?

Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

• Scott

You coudn't steer your car without them, if they are worn it will throw off your alignment and you'll eat tires.

I just had a customer stop by wondering why he needed new front tires after only 12,000 miles of riding on them. The front lower ball joints were bad. It's death for your tires! I've seen lower ball joints shear off because of lack of grease.

• Barry

Control arms are connected to the frame or body of a car through flexible rubber bushings, called control arm bushings. This allows a control arm to swing up and down as front wheels roll over bumps and potholes. ... If a control arm is excessively worn, damaged or bent, the vehicle is NOT SAFE to drive.

See another mechanic.  The bushings on the control arms fail but the control arms do not get damaged unless  the car is in a collision or the car is really very old.