Anonymous

What percentage of a race should someone be to be considered part of that group?

There's this guy I know who is always like "I'm part Taiwanese, African, German, *insert like 50 other races*" and it kinda annoys me because I feel like he's just milking it and saying even the 0.01% stuff he saw on ancestry.com or something. So how much of a race do you think someone should be to have the right to say they're part of a group?

It comes down to how most other people in your community perceive you.  This varies a lot, but is typically determined by just a few genes which anyone can have regardless of their ancestry.  For instance, San living in South Africa have the same variant genes in skin tone as white people.  It isn't so much percentage as which of a small selection of alleles you have.

It depends on the group. My family (bloodline) says your included if your mostly blood. However, well also include you if show an extraordinary innate understanding the of culture's heritage and ideology.

Others families say, only genetics count.

Yet others say it doesn't matter and you can learn the stuff as you go. But this has resulted in many people claiming to be something they're clearly not. So much so, people don't even include the original European phenotype anymore.

Races exist.  ... it all depends the phenotype of the mixed race person.

• Zirp

There are no races of humans, and NOTHING in genetic reality is ever determined by "percentages" or "blood quantum".

Passing on genetics is a lottery. The races that exist because humans bred them are determined by actual features.

A dog can have 7 german shepherd greatgrandparents, but if it has white curly hair it is not a german shepherd itself