Do you think it’s transphobic for people not to date trans?

Straight men - to not date transmen because they don’t like penis, for gay men to not date transmen because they want penis, and the same for straight women and gay women.

The overuse of the word transphobic really has no place in this question because people who won't date a transgender are not afraid of them. They may dislike or distrust or not be interested in them for many number of reasons, but fear is not involved. The main reason that transgenders have issues finding someone to date is that there is a lot of baggage that comes with changing your gender identity and when people in general date, they do not want to start off with a lot of drama. I wouldn't want people's insecurities or anger issues or mental health problems to become a part of my life, so who I choose to date or befriend becomes a very careful step in making decisions about my social life and my future. 

it’s not transphobic, just preferences.

Source(s): I’m trans

No, of course not.  Dating is personal choice and always will be. 

Of course not. That's like saying it's homophobic not to date people of the same gender.

Not dating them is the Christian thing to do. 

I think beauty queens and studs should be forced to date homely nerds with bad personalities.

Simply put, no.

But let us define what a "date" actually is. If you are invited out to see a movie in a group, that is not a date. If you are invited out to coffee alone with one other person who is a potential partner, that is a date.

The key here is if you consider the other person to be a potential partner and you plan to be alone with them. As a straight man with the highest of moral standards and common decency, I would not consider a tranny to be a potential partner so therefore I would not date one. 

Source(s): Many pompous years

I think you date the person you hope to be compatible with, regardless of gender presentation.  There is an argument for cis women to be lesbian separatist because men are, through no fault of their own, socialised into being their enemies, and accordingly it makes sense for men only to have sex with other men, so it isn't so much that it's transphobic as that cis men should probably only date other cis men or trans women and resist the temptation to sleep with cis women out of solidarity with feminism.

I'd rather they say no then at least that's straightforward and as a trans guy I wouldn't be wasting my time on the wrong people. I understand some people find trans people unappealing, I find certain things unappealing, for example when someone is very overweight and too much attitude. 

• Sky

You need to check your terms before coming up with questions like this.  A trans man is a FtM (female to male) transgender person, and if pre-op he would still have a vagina.  A trans woman is MtF (male to female) transgender and if pre-op she would still have a penis.  To answer the question, no, it doesn't make someone transphobic to not want to date a transgender person because it's a simple matter of personal preferences and attractions for who they date, share their life with, and make love with.  The idea that it would be transphobic is as stupid as calling it homophobic for a heterosexual man to refuse to date other men.