Henry asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

I accidentally used the wrong recovery phone number.?

I was going through my accounts when it was double checking security. It showed a number that I must have mistyped in because it was just off. Is this bad? I’m terrified that someone will get into my account or something.

No-one will get into your account. The recovery number is one they'd use to contact you if all else fails, probably giving you a pin number or something to sort your problem out.  If the number you gave is by coincidence actually an active number all that would happen is that they would not be able to contact you and the owner of the number will get a puzzling message they weren't expecting.

Just correct it and all will be well. 

• David

The recovery number is only used in the event that something has been lost or changed. Normally they will send a verification text/pin to the number which has to be entered onto the computer you are using. If you entered the telephone number wrongly, either the number won't be recognised at all or if it is the answerer would simply be presented with a Pin they won't know where to enter. Just go back into your account and correct the error.

Reset it to the proper number. If you're concerned about security, change your password while you're at it.

The chances of someone finding your email address/account information and happening to have access to that phone number are very small.