Softer ride?

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a compact SUV with a very hard ride at the rear. Wonder if i change a different shock absorber can help make it ride softer? Currently still with OEM shocks. I don't want to change the springs as it's hard to find a softer spring for my car model.

FYI, my car is Toyota Rush 2018 model high specs. 

• M.

Sometimes the springs sag so badly, that the shock absorber piston is no longer near the center of its travel when the vehicle is not moving. 

It's near the end of its travel, and when some road motion makes the body move downward (or the rear axle/wheels move upward), the piston has no travel left and harshly contacts the mechanical limit of its travel, making extreme roughness. 

Or it could be contacting of the suspension snubbers.

This fact is often overlooked by many people. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

Take a 1972 Dodge 3/4 ton Power Wagon for a drive, the next time you get in you car you will think it rides like a Cadillac.

• Barry

So you didn't notice this on your test drive? Ah well. Better luck next time. Changing the suspension is dangerous and will invalidate your insurance cover.

I had the same complaint riding in the back of a US RAV4. POS Toyota. Wonderful ride in my Crosstrek.

If you have over 70,000 miles on your vehicle and have noticed the ride getting worse, buy stock rear shocks or struts. Most after market ones are firmer then stock ones. Short wheel base vehicles will have a harsher ride so if you're not feeling a worse ride but just not happy with the way it's always been buy a longer vehicle.

• Expat

That’s the ride of an SUV. It sits higher so you feel everything. Buy a long sedan next time if you want it to ride like a boat.