Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

How did the baby boomers screw things up so badly ?

They inherited the greatest economy in human history, they could get into college for free, afford a house straight after leaving school.

And they completely ruined it, making sure their kids and grandkids will never have the same standard of living they did. Are they the worst generation in history? And how did they blow it so fast? 

They were never discplined by parents who grew up struggling to give those ingrates everything

• Marli

Where did you get the ha-ha ideas the university education was free and that baby-boomers could put down money on houses the moment they graduated?

Most of us who graduated from college in 1977 had heavy student loan debts to pay. I owed my parents a lot of money too, which was needed for my brother's education expenses.  Getting a job was a competition because there were too many graduates and too few openings.  Getting an apartment was just as hard: too few available and too expensive.  It is even worse now, and in 1980, I  thought it was impossible.

We mid-Boomers knew we would not get things for free.  The veterans of World War II got the GI-bill to help  pay for their education and housing. Their children born after 1945 did not. The wartime generation deserved that tangible gratitude from the government and we needed the Mother's allowance supplement. That was the only "baby-boomer" handout I  received : money for Pablum and diapers after I was born, and to supplement the food bill up to my mid elementary school years.

The "baby-boomers" were the children of the war veterans. We were not the war vets ourselves.  We did not receive their perks.

You don't know what you're talking about, either someone misinformed you or you're intentionally spreading misinformation.

• Laredo

As a baby boomer I have to say that we could not afford a house after leaving school. We had to work for everything that we had, here in the UK if you left school and went to college now that was free but not going to Uni, that cost money.

We worked hard, and some people played hard,  and as far as I know we did not ruin anything for anyone, only made things better.

Baby boomers were the first generation after World War 2 finished to really appreciate a job and the lifestyle that it gave us.

• Kieth

Nobody got free college, and houses were always expensive, the difference between then and now is that we know what a hard day of work is. If anything, we made it look easy because we have a work ethic, while the generations that followed were spoon fed sunshine and buttercups and not pushed into working for a living.