Psychological effects of an accident?

I was in an accident few weeks ago. My parked car was hit with wife and kid in it. Physically they were both fine but wife has been very edgy every time she sits in the car. Every time there is a car close to us or goes by us or merging in our lane, she starts bracing like we are about to get into an accident again. You can forget about her driving of course. She hasn’t driven it since. Do we need to make some appointment to get her checked? Or this is something that will pass after some time?

• Edna

I think that almost everyone experiences that sort of fear after they're in an auto accident. It should pass in a few weeks.

I was driving on a crowded expressway one night with my young son in the back seat. A drunk driver who was traveling at a high rate of speed crashed into the back of my car. The only warning I had that he was even behind me was the reflection of his headlights in my rear view mirror; he was just suddenly "there". When I saw his headlights, he was already so close and coming so fast that I knew he was going to hit me, and there was no place to go and no time to do it. The policeman said there were no skid marks on the road; the guy never even hit his brakes. I was on an elevated expressway; the impact knocked my car onto an exit ramp, and I "rode" my car all the way down to the access road below.

It took several weeks to get over my fear, but gradually I did. I didn't want to drive at night. Whenever I did and saw the headlights of a car approaching from the rear, I braced myself and almost panicked. I was SO AFRAID the same thing was going to happen again.

• May

Please have her get counseling

No one can or should play amateur Psychiatrist.  If SHE is concerned enough to want this addressed, yes, SHE can make an appointment to speak with someone about her fears or concerns.

This is not an unusual reaction.  Sometimes the fear wears off.  Sometimes it gets worse.

I've actually seen insurance claims filed for Psychological damage.  It's a real thing.

It will pass.  The mind adjusts to the NORM when the norm is not hitting or getting hit by other cars.  She is very aware that the steel shell you ride in is NOT THAT SAFE when you make a mistake.  She will become the more DEFENSIVE DRIVER BECAUSE OF IT. They don't want a repeat.

. actually no different than doing lousy on a school exam (on average their marks were better except for one subject like English) They failed there, but they still passed because no problem in any other subject.  It is forgotten.

.same idea

Maybe it will pass, but it may also become permanently ingrained.  Best to try to get her some help.