Gina asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Where can I buy bitter almonds in the UK and how do I soak them correctly? Thanks?

I think you will find selling bitter almonds in GB is banned, because of their toxicity [cyanide by the way, not arsenic, like another correspondent says]. The tree is widely grown as an ornamental; you could ask someone with such a tree, but personally I would not take the risk. 

Are you sure you don't mean apricot kernels which are used for their bitter almond aroma?  You can get those from some Italian delies and many healthfood shops.  I've only seen actual bitter almonds stocked by specialist Scandinavian food shops.  They come in tiny packs of 10 -15 almonds and are marked with a skull and cross bone poison logo because they really are that poisonous, no amount of soaking will get enough arsenic out.  You only need about 5 to favour 1/2kg marsipan.