Asep
Asep asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Would you say most dogs hate water or is it 50/50?

Does the majority of the dog population despise water 

Not at all.

Dogs naturally are attracted to water.

It is the artificial bathing forced by owners that dogs hate.  They hate the residual chemicals left on their fur, which the doggy grooms by licking.

• *****

A survey of my three find two who like to play in water and one that would rather not get wet, if she had to express a preference, but who might, on a very hot day, accidentally wander into a sprinkler (but puddles and pools are a firm no). Quite a lot of dogs enjoy water, actually.

• Maxi

No I would say dogs who are not introduced to water play during socialisation, don't know or understand what fun they can have and socialisation is about new smells, sounds, sights, different textures, places etc etc it is not just about meeting people/other dogs......... lots of owners only introduce water as they bathe their dogs too much which is not water play and restricts them

I took out 6 dogs this morning 5 were playing in the river having a great time, the other was enjoying paddling but she spent the first 8 yrs of her life in show clip and is a poodle  so trained to stay away from water in show clip, but enjoys paddling now she no longer shows and without the others jumping about she happily swims and loves the water..... I would say most dogs love water, but most owners avoid water play as they don't like fido getting wet

Depends on context and you gave none.

Some dogs are bred to love water (such as poodles and labradors).  That doesn't mean they necessarily love being bathed in the tub.

Depends.  The HIGH popularity of sporting breeds (like Goldens, Labs, Vizsla, GSP) and dogs who like to retrieve may tip it over 50%, but it can be a very individual thing.  HOW the dog is introduced to water can also make a difference.  Scary intros, may mean a life-long dislike.  My dogs like to swim, but neither like a bath or getting WET in the rain.

I'd say it's split 50/50. Some really love it, some really loathe it, some only like it if the water's not too warm and not too cool, some only like it when it's the rain or puddles,or some may be like my dog and will only willingly go into water without hesitation when I'm with her.

After they get back from a walk they drink water as if they were a human.

Ibtook mine on a walk for 30 minutes, and he was just as thirsty as i get when i come back from a walk. Drank the water just as fast.

I think it's 50/50, and some like water in different ways. While I haven't tried full body swimming with my dog yet, he LOVES hoses and sprinklers; running through them, getting hosed off, etc. My mom's dogs love swimming, but one hates getting hosed down or squirted at in any way. Many breeds and dogs love going for a dip and swimming in any body of water they can.