can I safely use 14/3 wire to power up my camper. small fridge, lites, tv, dvd, ac or heater etc?

its a Road runner 15 foot sleeps 4-8 with shower/toilet, medium size fridge a smmal H2o heater with H2o pump. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can safely use 14 gauge wire if it's fused (or circuit breaker protected) at 15 amps. 

Is it? 

RVs were powered for decades with 30 amp service (10 gauge supply), but recently its a 50 amp supply.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

no the AC is at least 30 amps .. I would go with a 50 amp if you can and that is not 14/3 .. we are speaking of a plug to hook up ?

problem is you most likely will have to make a whole new run from the panel and depends on spot .. Mine is all the way on the other side. SO I use a 15 amp outlet knowing I cannot run the AC .. the rest is fine on the 15 amp 14/3 

if you do and turn on the AC.. the breaker will blow 

doing it proper either was 30 amp or 50 amp you will need a new run from the panel 

• 2 months ago

Doubtful.  depends on distance involved and you probably want either 12/3 or 10/3.  That's called either a heavy duty or commercial grade extension cord.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If all of that is under 15 Amps then yes.  But seriously no theres no way 14-3 is big enough. I'd think a minimum you'd want 6-3 maybe 8-3

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most of those are 30 amp sort of deals, so no

• 2 months ago

Probably, but #12 would give you a safer margin. Just make sure the wire is outdoors so if it overheats it doesnt start anything on fire.

• 2 months ago

How long is the run, and what is the total amperage of the devices you intend to power?

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

sounds a bit too small, maybe #10 ???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.