Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

do you think this is rude?

if you go to a small shop where the owner is serving the customer.  and when you make the purchase and pay, the owner doesnt thank you......  and just doesnt say anything.... like "see ya".....

"distracted" after your 3rd visit to the same store? cmon.....

I talked to her and she said that her business is slow.....  still unclear that she is the owner?   and no.... the shop was empty when I was there..... still unclear?  

• ?

it does sound rude

I don't think it's rude per se, but it's nicer customer relations in a shop to be friendly.  

But rude means different things to different people, and some more sensitive souls might deem this as rude.

You say you have been in three times, but yet expect the shopkeeper to remember YOU out of the 200 odd customers they have a day?  Really?

kind of ish.

I'd be like, bye then.

BYE mate....BYE ??

BYYYYYYYYYYE mutha phucka ! ^_^

and if he still doesn't say anything I'll request a refund and then put sodium nitrate in his shop and blow it up lol

• denise

Well its not 'friendly', I'd just say 'thanks' and 'bye' and if he does not answer, just get on with your day, at least you were polite.   

I never ask the person who's serving me if he/she is the owner of the establishment, so I would never know it's the owner.

Your question is very unclear; no wonder you aren't getting the answers you want. You say the owner is serving the customer. Are YOU the customer? If so, why not SAY SO?

If YOU are  not the customer, why are you paying?

Tidy this up for us, please.

PS You criticised one answer because the poster didn't know this was your third visit to the same store. How exactly are we supposed to know that if you don't SAY SO?

When you post a question try to keep in mind that while YOU know all the background and special circumstances, WE DON'T. You have to tell us.

No offence taken, as the person serving you is under no obligation to greet the customer or wish them well or express gratitude.  If this happens, bonus but not expected.

• ?

Rude no, bad customer service yes

I don't think it's rude for them not to say thank you, but they should say something like have a nice day. They were probably just distracted with another customer, you shouldn't take offense to it. It wasn't courteous, but I doubt that the owner had rude intentions. 

Courteous, probably not. Rude, no. It falls in the in between. What's more, there may be a good reason for that behavior, even one that possibly makes it courteous, like maybe the owner is presently being held-up at gunpoint and has been told that if he or she engages you in any conversation that it will cost you your life. Yes, that's an extreme reason, but there are other plausible reasons, too, an entire universe of possibilities, in fact. So a polite person would give the owner the benefit of the doubt.