Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Can I graduate early if I failed a class?

I’m a senior this upcoming school year and the idea of graduating early has peeked my interest. The problem however is that I’ve failed math my freshman year because I was always slacking and I regret it till this day but I’ve matured and focused more on my grades since then. It was a whole year course and it’s mandatory that I complete 3 years of math to graduate but I never got to do so. Is there any way for me to be able to graduate early?

That's a question to ask your guidance counselor.  You, or any other student, must meet the state and district requirements for both general credits and credits within a specific subject area.  You may be able to take more classes this semester to cover those requirements, but it is unlikely that you can recover a full year of math in one semester.  The only person who can answer that question is a counselor at your school. 

You can't graduate early if you haven't finished your requirements; you can't graduate at all if you haven't finished your requirements. 

Had you thought of it earlier, you could have doubled up on a math class, or taken one in summer school, but a few weeks before classes start is too late to make up the failed class. 

You can talk to your advisor about getting a waiver, but they can't waive a state graduation requirement. Chances are you're not going to be able to graduate early, and you're going to need to take math for your entire senior year. 

BTW it's "piqued" not "peeked"

Have you passed the other two years of math? You should have taken the class you failed in summer school, but it's too late to do that now. Talk to your guidance counselor and see what your options are.