Cory
Lv 5
Cory asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

What do people have against the Rooney Rule?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Adam D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It requires a private business entity to consider ethnicity as a factor in hiring.  Hiring practices should exclusively be based on qualifications and capabilities.

• bill
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Already 70% of the players are black in the NFL. The BLM will not be happy until every player and coach is black. Then what? Will white people be able to complain? I guess not. That would be racist.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Nothing against it. Those old grannies needed the money, their pensions aren’t enough.

• 1 month ago

There have been times when teams had a hard time finding a minority to interview for a job because they felt the job was taken already and they were just the token interview! Fact is they might have been right.Owners of a team are going to hire who they want.It is their team.It might not be racism that is holding a person back but just who the owner feels comfterable with.Yes the good old boys network.Rooney Rule may have had good intentions but it made the process take longer then it should 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is not strong enough.

• 1 month ago

superficial "solutions" tend to lead to superficial "enforcement" and ultimately defeats the purpose....

the rule basically says "you MUST have a token interview with a token candidate"... thus reducing all minority interviews to tokens...

would you prefer to be chosen to interview for a job because of your qualifications or the boxes you check off under "gender" and "race/ethnicity?"  guess what?  so long as the Rooney Rule is in place, you'll never know the motivation behind your interview...even if you do get the job...

that kind of thing does matter to some people who take pride in their actual work....

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm all for efforts to increase minorities in sports. However it needs to be addressed at the lower level. In an interview process talent should come first and foremost. Address the problems at the root rather than this fix

• 1 month ago

I dislike how inflexible it can be at times.  If you're hiring a really famous coach that just became available, you're not conducting a real interview process.  You KNOW you're hiring THAT guy.  Yet you are required to wait, potentially risking someone else coming along and outbidding you while you set up an OBVIOUSLY sham interview for the sake of virtue-signaling.  That's dumb.  And it's insulting to the black candidate being interviewed.

However, in the more general case, I think it's a pretty decent baby-splitting solution to a thorny problem.  By giving blacks opportunities to be interviewed by owners and GMs, it increases their exposure and even if they don't get the job this time, may create chances down the road.  And it does this without preventing teams from hiring who they want.

It's just that sometimes it's inflexible.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe they are racist and do not want minorities to be interviewed.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

People are weird that's why. If I want to hire Bill Belichick. Hire Bill Belichick. But, what's so hard about spending less than 1 day interviewing one minority.

Want to interview 30 white candidates? fine. Make it 31 with one minority. Think a white guy is short changed? Then interview him. Make it 32. 

Arguing about it seems racist. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.