Anonymous

Am I racist?

I love asian culture, love the food, love the history. But this black dude told me because I'm white, so I'm a racist as it's something culture appropriation, and I'm stealing it, but I'm only admiring it... Am I a racist?

Appreciating or identifying with another culture is not an aspect of racism, nor is it stealing. Cultural appropriation is when you use another culture for your own gain. The best example of all time would be Adolf Hitler's use of the Swastika. It is originally an ancient symbol of good luck, used by many Eastern religions. He, of course, took it and used it to represent the Nazis, bearing no ties to its original meaning. Simply taking part in or being fond of another culture is not the same thing obviously. However, there is no such thing as Asian culture. There are different types of Asians, all with their own ways of life, so you may want to check yourself on that end.

• Ludwig

Yes, because this story  is a product of your obsessed imagination.

White people and asian people came from the same neanderthal population, some blacks see both of these races as racist.  Derek Chauvin's ex-wife is asian after all.....

• Zirp

You are a racist if you

- believe or pretend that humans come in races

- judge people on their skincolour, haircolour, eyecolour, size, ethnicity, nationality, religion, etc

REAL cultural appropriation (not the stuff SJW-trolls whine about) is e.g. claiming an ethnicity whose language you don't speak, or claiming that apple-pie and coleslaw are american inventions

Culture Appropriation means you're trying claim it.

But I wouldn't think twice about it. Asia is well know for ignoring intellectual property anyway. Specifically in this case, we can point to all of China's monument replicas.

No you're not appropriating Asian culture.  Don't listen to that black guy,  you need to understand that black-culture is VERY Anti-WHITE. Black people will always be dissatisfied with white people.

Cultural admiration and cultural appropriation are two different things. One can admire another culture in the sense that, you want to learn about it and you enjoy engaging with it and its customs. However, to appropriate is to take from said culture with the attempt to take ownership, and it is usually done without the consent of those a part of the culture. So, you are not appropriating anything, nor are you a racist for admiring a different culture. 

• Cogito

No - of course not.

"This black dude" is an idiot.

Being accepting and appreciative of another races culture would be the opposite of racism in my opinion. I would only think it to be racist if you thought their culture was inferior to yours and you thought you were better than them because of it. 

Decades ago I learned that we are ALL RACISTS.  It's part of who we are.

Our KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS on HOW we deal with it is what's important.