Pit asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Am I right to blame myself?

I'm a 20 year old female. I'm not actually a useless loser. I moved out when I was 18 to live at my university's dorm, but I currently need to live with my family, since the dorm is closed due to the pandemic. I wanted to paint a picture to create a cover for my soon to be published book, but I didn't have any watercolour paints and I couldn't afford to buy any. My mom used to paint years ago, but she has now stored all her paints in the basement and she never uses them. So, a few weeks ago I went to the basement and took her watercolour paints to my room. I used them multiple times. Today, she found them in my room. She kept checking if they were damaged. She thinks I'm a 6 year old baby who can't even take care of her watercolour paints! When I told her that her paints were fine, she kept interrogating me to find out why I had stole her paints from her. I told her that I knew that she would never let me have them, so I simply took them. She said that they were her things and I had no right to touch them. I kind of agree with her, but she also keeps a piano, which has been left untouched for years and I'm really interested in learning how to play the piano. I've asked her several times if I can use her piano, but each time, she has refused. She never uses any of her precious things, while I'm mad for learning, so I may go to any extent to learn something new. Am I just an immature brat or do I have a right in this world?

I had stolen*

i dont think so

• Edna

If your mom used to paint "years ago', then all the watercolor paint she had stored in her basement have dried out by now. If you want to paint, then buy yourself some new watercolor paint, and leave your mom's old paint alone.

Your mom doesn't have to let you play her piano, if she doesn't want to. It's HER piano.

I suppose............

You're an immature brat.  You also seem to think you are entitled.

So buy paints with the advance you received on  your "soon to be published" book.  Your publisher has explained that to you, right?

Right?  Yes, you are the RIGHT to move out, rent a room, get a job, act like an adult.  That's what I did.  I also got a bachelors and advanced degree.  Try it.  Then you can buy your own watercolour paints.

Or, as I said, buy them with the advance for your soon-to-be published book.

I've been published twice.  Both times I got a fairly large advance.

I wouldn't say you're an immature brat, but you already know it was wrong to do this without asking her.  You even said this in the question.  The issue isn't how often she uses them.  People have the right to decide anything related to their own property.  Like you said, you took them because you knew she'd say no. 

Now that you're 20, your position in her home is very different.  When you were growing up, you had  no choice but to live there and follow her rules.  Now you're an adult, meaning you're a guest in her home.  She can kick you out if you're a bad guest, and many parents do just that.

• A

It is HER stuff, get permission or buy your own

• Adam

You shouldn’t be using her stuff without permission but I do find it strange she wouldn’t let you use them. My parents are very different to yours in that respect so I’m struggling to understand her rational for not letting you use them, parents normally encourage learning & creativity. I really don’t see what the big deal is.

• marty

You have a right to get a job and move on your own, but living with your mother means you must follow her rules and respect her decisions no matter how ridiculous they are.