Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 2 months ago

If black panther was played by a white man would the nerdy comic book fans be complaining and bringing up race?

Like how they did when a black man played spiderman get over it they are fictional characters it’s not like it’s a biopic movie about a REAL person.

That would definitely make no sense, and I would be VERY annoyed.  

I was never a fan of Black Panther the way I was about Spiderman, but the ENTIRE POINT of the character was that he was Stan Lee doing racial tokenism as best he could in the 1960s.  Which is good and bad.  I would give Stan a pat on the back for trying, but I'd give him a low grade for execution because, IMHO, Black Panther is a lousy character BECAUSE his main raison d'etre is to be black.  He doesn't have much else going for him as a character other than 'be black, and be something a black kid could be proud of'.  Which is a nice intention...but it boring for storytelling.

Having a white guy play him would be pretty retarded.  I actually wasn't aware that a black guy played Peter Parker...or are you meaning the Miles Morales cartoon one?

Yeah of course they would be. There's always fans of the original story and person who would be mad at extreme changes like that. I originally disliked the young black spiderman but after seeing the spiderverse movie I've changed my mind because that movie is great and his dad and uncle were great characters. 

I understand what you're saying, but I don't know...Black Panther was BLACK in the comics, however, anyone who was portrayed, written, or drawn as white can now be played by anyone, but whites can't play someone who was portrayed as color, if that makes sense. Like, anyone can play Rogue from X-Men, but Storm has to be black. See what I'm saying? And recently, people are really divided on the Little Mermaid casting, calling out people who are saying she should be white, but only because of the location WHERE it was written. So those people are automatically racist. Hermione Granger was also written as white, but they made her black in the Cursed Child play. 

I don't give two squats about it myself. We need more diversity, not just whites and blacks, but people of ALL color. I think people hold issue when we whitewash characters.