Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

In June I had to cancel my b-day party because of coronavirus risks,my mom promised me I could do it in August, now she says no, why the lie?

She told me things will be better in August and I could do it then but now she says I can’t because the virus is still around. Why would she have thought in June it would somehow disappear in August? We should just telling me this to satisfy me a new she was lying? How do I get all my anger at her out? I’m so mad I’ve never been this mad before. 

The coronavirus is here for good or at least for several years so we have to learn to live with that, I’m 14 and even I know that. 

What do I do and how do I get all this friggin anger out that I have towards my mother? Right now if she got the virus and died I would not shed a tear.  

Favorite Answer

Your mommy didn't lie.   She made a decision based on the information she had at the time.  The CDC changes their recommendations almost on a daily basis.  You can't blame her for that.   You need to put on your adult pants and grow up.

its not safe get that in your head and under stand

she is older and she could get the coronavirus, family first

we dont know how much time we have on this earth hold your family tight we may not be here next week

• HMFan

We’re all frustrated by the fact that many lives and the things we like to do have been put on hold because of COVID-19. Your Mom was perhaps a bit too optimistic about the rescheduling date for your party. The fact that COVID is still out of control isn’t your Mom’s fault, and we all make mistakes in judgment sometime. We’re all human so cut her some slack.

There will be many times in your life when you will have to make a decision about foregoing something in favor of something else: maybe instead of getting new clothes you save that money for a car, or maybe you give up your family vacation to go to DisneyWorld with a friend. FOMO can cause all sorts of anxiety but be aware that people have to make decisions like this ALL THE TIME. I know you DON’T WANT to miss out on your b’day party this year but considering the circumstances and the alternative, this may be something that you simply have to accept and live with. You WILL have other birthdays. Instead of being angry with your Mom, consider how SHE may feel that she “made you a promise” that she had to break. No parent relishes disappointing their child, especially when it comes to something REALLY IMPORTANT. TBH, THANK your Mom for even considering the option of a re-schedule; some parents might have simply said ,“sorry, not this year,” and be done with it.We’re all under some stress during this pandemic. Please don’t compound the issue by throwing guilt, anger, and resentment into the mix; that won’t make things any better. Your issue isn’t with your Mom; it’s with Mother Nature. Go ahead and be angry but BE ANGRY WITH THE RIGHT PERSON (or thing) and RECOGNIZE that your Mom’s decision was based on PROTECTING you. Like Mary Poppins says: when you change you view from where you stood, the things you view will change for good.

Wishing you a very happy belated birthday. Hang in there.

Just not safe to do so........

The world doesn’t revolve around you.

Your mother is neither a fortune teller or a magician! But she is responsible for your health and well being! You might be okay with risking your health and the health of other people by congregating but your mother certainly isn't! I am sure that if your mother relented and allowed you to have the party and she ended up becoming infected and died you would instantly discover what hardship is all about! I can promise you one thing kid, you don't want to learn that the hard way! Your dumb selfish self centered talk about her dying and your not caring is tripe and we both know it! If your mother would die the bottom of your world would totally crumble and you would most likely end up in a huge turmoil and your life would take a huge hit!

Bruh she’s literally PROTECTING YOU and you’re family. 

Life is full of disappointments.  Get over it.

• L

WAKE UP - SNOW FLAKE!  COVID-19 is still here and your mother has NO control over that!  Parents can only hope things will get better but we can NEVER promise anything.  Celebrate your Birthday next year.

• Sarah

You just turned 14. I turned 20 this year and didn't really get to celebrate thanks to coronavirus, and my 21st birthday, the year where I legally could drink and gamble if I wanted to (not that I do) won't be so stellar either because of the virus. But that's not so bad. High school seniors last year literally lost their senior events (prom, senior year, etc), within days if not weeks. They aren't getting a very good start to college either. College seniors missed out on their last month of school and are starting their careers in a broken economy. Seniors this year know they're not going to have the best senior year either thanks to the virus.

What's worse than all of this? The millions of people around the world that have died. You need to be grateful for what you have.

• Kelly

First world problems.   You'll get over not having a birthday party.