Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Is it normal for food poisoning to occur days-weeks after eating something?

Deli meat, listeria? Would it happen weeks later or is it more likely to get sick like within a day you would know 

NO,food poisoning happens pretty quick if that is your problem,hours not days.

• n2mama

Depends entirely on what it is that causes you to be sick. Some bacteria have to grow in your gut before causing you to get sick, which can take days to weeks to cause illness. With other bacteria it isn’t the bacteria that makes you sick, it’s actually a toxin the bacteria produce, which can be much quicker to take effect. With those, if the toxin is already present in the food you consume the effects can be in a matter of hours. With Listeria specifically, it is generally 7-28 days after consuming contaminated food before you get sick.

Source(s): Masters degree in food microbiology

absolutely. It happens like that because certain food born illness bacteria are slow growing. Most all food born illnesses are kind of slow moving. Listeria is one of the faster moving ones though..The link I am adding talks about the common ones and also includes a time line from ingestion to illness. Note that some can take nearly 2 weeks..THAT fact is why its so hard to pin down what you ate that made you sick.  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318111#C...

If you're going to get food poisoning, it generally kicks in within 14 hours. 

• kswck2

Food poisoning is not something you wish on your worst enemy. Most food poisoning is quick, within one complete digestive cycle-less than 24 hours. 

I had food poisoning from eating spoiled meat. This is how dangerous it can be. I wanted two sandwiches, so I had the bread ready, I opened the sandwich meat and had one corner of it on one piece of bread but noticed that the meat was slimy and stinky, so I trashed it and opened new. I never trashed the piece of bread the meat touched. This was around three in the afternoon. By 8 o'clock I was in emergency with full on food poisoning. It was that immediate. I do know that listeria can take up to 4 weeks, but most food poisoning is pretty quick. 

It would depend on what bacteria was actually causing the food poisoning but the symptoms can certainly first occur several days after infection.

Yes, but this would just depend on the food.

Not possible. It would happen within a few hours.

• CB

It can take hours to a week or more. Usually it hits pretty hard and fast - but not always.