Eden asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

Prepping, is it wise to have ammo for firearms you do not own for barter shtf?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

This is not my own idea, but an idea that I picked-up from another Yahoo Answer poster from many years ago.

If things ever got THAT BAD, most of the western world would resemble a Mad Max movie.  Barter and trade?  Possibly.  But chances are, the have-nots would be trying to prey on those that have.  Food and ammunition would be critical to survival.  Even the nice, religious family down the street are going to turn into proverbial monsters when they witness their children starving.  If you have something they want (make that need) - they are going to do everything they can to get it.

• 2 months ago

Nobody will be walking up to my house wanting to buy or trade anything if the SHTF.

• 2 months ago

Hell no!

In SHTF very, very good chance you are going to be stuck on foot or bike or ATV with all the highway lanes clogged death traps.  You can only carry so much.  Your wife and kids can carry less - probably.  Maybe you can hold out for a few days or weeks where you are...... but winter is going to drive you south or someplace where other folks gather.  You will be dropping gear along the way until you arrive at a place where you can hold up or make a stand.

I suppose if you lived in a bunker - but think about it - do you really want to be handing ammo to someone outside your fence or door?   

• 2 months ago

July/August 2020 - have you looked at the shelves in sporting goods stores lately? People have been buying up any and all the ammunition they can find out of fear - there's no ammo to be found because of all the unrest and uncertainty running rampant throughout the United States right now.

Take an entrepreneurial initiative and "prep" by stocking up on ammunition so you can sell or trade it at a HUGE profit!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Better to spend the money on ammunition you can use

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If it has actually come down to a life or death situation, you want people to think you're dead and or gone.

• 2 months ago

Ammo you can use is just as tradeable as ammo you can't.

However if your not sure what is good for trade, run to the local grocery store and grab a gun magazine (the wordy kind of magazine). Anything mentioned at least 10x (and not as a curio or relic) is good to stock!

But beware, every round you trade can be used against you later and is round you don't have to defend yourself.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you have main steam caliber firearms like .22lr, 9mm, .45ACP, .223/5.56x45, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7.63x39,.308 Win, .30-06 SPFG, NO.  If your choice is .318 Westley Richards, any of the H&H magnums, .458 Lott, 16 ga shotgun, 7.62mm Nagant , 9x21mm and such, yes you need to have other calibers to trade.

• 2 months ago

Yes.   Some times you can pick something cheap that you do not need but can trade it for something you do need at a profit. 

• 2 months ago

No, you never want to give an unknown person something that can be used to kill you. Properly stored ammunition will last a lifetime, I have 30 year old ammo that still functions perfectly. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.