Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

What happens if you eat prepackaged lunch meat turkey after it’s been opened + in fridge for 7 days. ?

Today is 7th day since it’s been opened and has been in fridge. Oscar Mayer turkey lunch meat. I

Ate it today and no sign it went bad but now I’m worried it’s been open too long 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Make sure its good my opinion is try to take suggestions from your neighbors 

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

check it out by ......Sight,....Smell... Touch,   ( Slimy & slippery )  And  Taste...You'll  Know if it's  Good

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Processed meat has chemicals added to it to slow down the natural rate of deterioration, plus if its been in the fridge that will also help preserve it...so after 7 days it may not taste too great, but it certainly wont do you any harm. 

• 1 month ago

Nothing.  Processed lunch meat can last a long time in the fridge.  As others have noted, if luncheon meat goes bad, it will be slimy, smell bad, and taste worse.  As long as you keep the package sealed and refrigerated, it should last beyond the "Sell By" date on the package. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

if it was spoiled, it would taste terrible and be slimy and stinky. If your meat is none of these, nothing will happen. Even if it was spoiled, nothing will probably happen. spoilage bacteria is different than food born illness bacteria and rarely makes anyone sick.

• 1 month ago

That stuff's pretty processed; it will take longer to go off than 'normal' meat. If it looks / smells ok, it'll be fine. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it if slimy, toss it out. 

• 1 month ago

You are probably pushing your luck by day 7, but considdering how full of preservatives lunch meat is, you more than likely will be ok. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Weren't there instructions on the packaging, like, “Eat within seven days of opening” or something?

The only thing to to is to check it before you eat it. If it looks, smells and tastes okay it IS okay.

• Cathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing, if it smelled and looked okay. I've read it's only good for a week or that it's only good for 7-10 days, and I've eaten it 9-10 days after opening it before. You can freeze part of it when you first open it for later if you don't plan to eat it all within a week or so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.