I got a can of rustoleum acrylic black paint here.  How well does it protect metal that is rusted already from future rust?

I just sprayed over the rusted areas with the black enamel; and assumed that the rust will not get any worse now.  It was a trailer I was trying to paint.  Will the rustoleum help prevent future rust what I did; or did I just spin my wheels?

You can't stop rust. 

Especially with enamel spray paint. Some people use POR-15 or equivalent, but I've never used it.

It will slow down the process a bit which is better than nothing.Coating the rust with motor oil will do better.

You wasted paint. Rust is a chemical reaction. That chemical reaction continues after you spray over it.  You need to completely remove the rust, down to bare metal, then use a coat or two of primer, THEN paint.

The rust will keep chewing up the metal. Menard's carries rust inhibitor in spray cans that you should have used first!

You assumed wrong. EPIC FAIL. Read the label on the can.

Use oil based paint. Acrylic based is water based...so not so good on metal.  Neither here nor there.  The rust started and it will not stop, but you slowed it down to a crawl.

It will be okay if you scraped off the loose rust first, otherwise that will eventually fall off and take the paint with it (assuming regular rust-oleum)