Should automakers make cigarette lighter / ashtray an option?

with less people smoking I rather have more cup holders 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, cigarette lighters should not be an option.  You can have 12v barrel connectors, though

• Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There's no "should" about it - they already do; and have for several years. A  cigarette lighter and ashtrays "package" is already an option that you can have installed in a new car when you purchase it.

If you want to purchase a new car with the cigarette "package" in it, but the dealership doesn't have a car on his lot with one that was installed at the factory,  he'll call around to other new car dealerships and FIND you a new car that does. 

• 2 months ago

No. All cars should  have them. It isn't Detroit's  (or Tokyo's) call to decide if we should smoke or not. 

I don't smoke nor allow it in my cages, But, I still use the CLsocket to plug in chargers, etc; the ash tray for  coins, fuses,. etc. 

• 2 months ago

No they should be standard, and it's not a cigarette lighter it's a cigar lighter. Learn your history. And what modern car are you talking about that actually has an ashtray in it? They stopped putting them in like 20 years ago.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can buy a cigarette lighter for the 12V outlet if you like and buy an ashtray to fit in the cupholder or you can do the prudent thing and just quit smoking.  I worked up an estimate in another question and came to the conclusion that I spent over $53K on cigarettes over the 30 year period I smoked a pack and a-half.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Well the lighter socket was always a 12v outlet anyway and people want those. Ash trays have disappeared but always after the extra buck, “smokers package” is now an option for many manufacturers .   Basically £50 for an removable ashtray you place in a cup holder.

You can get something very similar in the pound shop !

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lighters are now more often used as power ports.

Many automakers also have removable ashtrays that fit into cup holders rather than designing a permanent ashtray as part of the dash or centre console.  Those have been an option on some cars for a while. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can't turn the ashtray into a cup holder. And the cost of the lighter is immaterial. And needed for chargers & such. Bad idea. Mine holds change & gift cards.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Almost no one uses cigarette lighters for their intended purpose these days.  It's always to plug something in.  And I put cash in the ashtray.  I call it the "cashtray", get it?

• 2 months ago

It is an option on a lot of new cars.    However most people who do not smoke use the lighter socket as a power socket for radar detectors,  etc.   

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.