Should automakers make cigarette lighter / ashtray an option?

with less people smoking I rather have more cup holders 

Favorite Answer

No, cigarette lighters should not be an option.  You can have 12v barrel connectors, though

• Edna

There's no "should" about it - they already do; and have for several years. A  cigarette lighter and ashtrays "package" is already an option that you can have installed in a new car when you purchase it.

If you want to purchase a new car with the cigarette "package" in it, but the dealership doesn't have a car on his lot with one that was installed at the factory,  he'll call around to other new car dealerships and FIND you a new car that does. 

No. All cars should  have them. It isn't Detroit's  (or Tokyo's) call to decide if we should smoke or not. 

I don't smoke nor allow it in my cages, But, I still use the CLsocket to plug in chargers, etc; the ash tray for  coins, fuses,. etc. 

No they should be standard, and it's not a cigarette lighter it's a cigar lighter. Learn your history. And what modern car are you talking about that actually has an ashtray in it? They stopped putting them in like 20 years ago.

You can buy a cigarette lighter for the 12V outlet if you like and buy an ashtray to fit in the cupholder or you can do the prudent thing and just quit smoking.  I worked up an estimate in another question and came to the conclusion that I spent over $53K on cigarettes over the 30 year period I smoked a pack and a-half.

• F

Well the lighter socket was always a 12v outlet anyway and people want those. Ash trays have disappeared but always after the extra buck, “smokers package” is now an option for many manufacturers .   Basically £50 for an removable ashtray you place in a cup holder.

You can get something very similar in the pound shop !

• Jay P

Lighters are now more often used as power ports.

Many automakers also have removable ashtrays that fit into cup holders rather than designing a permanent ashtray as part of the dash or centre console.  Those have been an option on some cars for a while. 

You can't turn the ashtray into a cup holder. And the cost of the lighter is immaterial. And needed for chargers & such. Bad idea. Mine holds change & gift cards.

• Erik

Almost no one uses cigarette lighters for their intended purpose these days.  It's always to plug something in.  And I put cash in the ashtray.  I call it the "cashtray", get it?

It is an option on a lot of new cars.    However most people who do not smoke use the lighter socket as a power socket for radar detectors,  etc.