Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Is death an innately known concept, or is it learned? ?

Is one born knowing that they and others will die, or is that something that they learn? And if it is the latter, how would one describe someone they were to see dead, if they didn't understand the concept of death? 

Life and death happen in the same process. For life to be, death needs to be. For the start the end will always be. This is the nature of the physical dimension of this existence. 

My question to you is- dont you want to know death experientialy? Dont you want to know what the other side of life is? 

Understanding death is not a hard thing to do. This can only be done when you are alive. 

That is something which is learned over time.

The human brain is close to being a blank slate at birth. Some vague awareness is gained in the womb during the latter stages of development, but awareness of death is not one of them. It is LEARNED. 

.

• Marli

No one is born knowing they or others will die.  When my niece was six years old, a beloved friend died.  I saw how sad she was and heard the questions she asked her parents. "Why is he "dead"?  Will he wake up again? Won't he visit us from where he is? When I'm asleep, am I dead?"  She was very distressed, not just about no longer having her friend visit, but about what "dead" was.  She was trying to grasp that such a thing happens and that it can't unhappen.

I've seen my parents die and I still can't fully grasp and accept that reality. I can't grasp the reality that I will die. My name and birthdate is on their tombstone.  A schoolmate of mine died of ALS and is buried near my parents' graves. Same year of birth. A "memento mori" every time I think of that.

Death is a biological process.

As for weather it is learned or innate, I have never studied it.

Nature / Nurture is also a nightmare of a topic.

• j153e

People acquire beliefs about the "reality" of death.  When the truth is learned--that death is unreal--people do better.  An amusing book has this title:  "Why Animals Sleep So Close to the Road (and other lies I tell my children)" by Susan Konig.