Where did the myth originate that small children (and cats) could sometimes see supernatural beings that adult humans could not ?

• John
    Favorite Answer

This belief came about for the same reason that people started believing "orbs" in photos were ghosts, or that mundane EMF blips were evidence of haunting.  People want so much to believe in the fantastic, the supernatural, the spiritual, that they seize upon anything that might be made to serve as evidence by reinterpretation of rather normal things.  Kids with their developing minds and keen imagination, and animals that do things for reasons we are never privy to, are just two examples.

It isn't a myth.  Just based upon observation certain species and entities have a camouflage that is only apparent to certain people.  Just like certain wavelengths can only be heard by certain age groups.  Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it isn't there.  Yesterday there was a golden cat sitting on the edge of the brown grass in a field.  A person was walking their dog.  And, the dog couldn't see the cat.  Yet is sensed the cat and was horrified.  The dog stood on its tippy toes like a scared black cat would, in horror.  It looked in the direction of the cat, but not at the cat.  What the dog saw was not typical.  When I entered the parking lot, there was my neighbor, bent over in her car, with a stranger standing beside here, appearing frustrated.   It was like the dog saw something that was larger, than the little cat sitting there. Then, coming out of her house was another stranger, with the same apparent frustration.  This same cat I saw a few days earlier and it was crossing the parking lot.  It passed between cars and what emerged was my neighbor who rushed into the house.  I first saw this cat about 2 months ago sitting under my kitchen window.  It had red glowing eyes and freaked me out.  I told the cat to scat and the cat was like having the same mannerism as my neighbor. My neighbor is one of my closest neighbors.  I call her ma.  She always thanks me for cleaning around the garbage, when I am out doing chores.  I am convinced that ma is a shapeshifter.  She has all the attributes.  So if you are more observant you will see that things are not at all, what they seem.

I got Cat...  he never once showed that,,,  He had id fight...  I done fighting, let me be done ....  please!!

• Tom

Because Kids and household pets often appear to be looking into empty space with apparent interest---even though WE see nothing there---a simple conclusion, if one is a believer in invisible, Paranormal entities.

Now it may be possible that some animals and young humans might be able to see into the near infra red and ultraviolet.--- And all they are really looking at is some "light show"------There is no evidence that the "entities" if they exist at all, may be visible just past one extreme end of the spectrum.   But superstitious folk think that is a possibility.

You should stay away from anything that there is not good evidence for, and the paranormal and the afterlife are one of those things. `So if there is no evidence to support that animals and children have only the same senses as us, best to leave it alone. next, some evidence. There is a reason why they use sniffer dogs at airports. Can I have best answer, please? 

EDIT! If something is ongoing, it can not be a myth That is why nobody says "man being able to fly is just a myth" anymore.

• 👻

You can’t prove it’s a “myth”. Children and pets grew to have that reputation based on centuries of occurrences.

That is hogwash.   It is just that children have very active imaginations that make them seem to see invisible beings. 

I dunno. But it's common and has happened to all of us where I'm from.

I don't remember it. But some claim I called out to my grandfather not knowing he died. I must have been 2. But they say I spoke to him as if he was there.

Dogs also have a strong sense and abnormally bark at nothing. 

So... am thinking since the beginning of mankind. Anywhere.

Hollywood Movies maybe?