alex asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Do kedney get damage from drinking water consistently?

I been drinking 1.5 gallons of water for the last 7 days and 4 days ago my kedneys started to hurt. (I’m water fasting)

• .

Your body has "kidneys", and water doesn't damage them BUT drinking too much water can dilute your blood and electrolytes, and in rare cases lead to death. 

.

NO ONE needs to drink over a gallon of water a day, and starvation diets are just foolish. The ONLY time you should abstain from all calories is if your doctor has recommended it and is monitoring you. 

• kelvin

no.....................

No, that wont' damage your kidneys at all.

It causes you to lose the ability to spell correctly.

• geezer

It is possible to drink TOO MUCH water.

Drinking too much water can upset the body's sodium balance (salt and electrolytes) and cause a potentially fatal condition called hyponatramia.

I assume you mean 1.5 gallons a day, which is (working it out in my head) about 5.75 litres.

That's quite a lot .. especially if you aren't eating !

Your kidneys could be hurting because they simply ''can't cope'' with the excess water.

Up to 60% of the adult human body is comprised of water, which means that drinking too much water at once can actually prove to be detrimental, and even deadly. It is possible to drown yourself by drinking too much. The better way to avoid self-injury is to drink incrementally and not so much at once. Water fasting can be beneficial, but it is better to do so with the fact of your body being made up of 60% water in mind. In addition, you should consult with your primary care physician to come to the conclusion about how to water fast correctly and how to ensure that you do not cause permanent harm.