Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Please help me decide whether to take the semester off or not?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WHY I SHOULD TAKE THE SEMESTER OFF

____________________________________________________________________-Move in started August 1st and there are already 2 confirmed cases on campus (my assigned move-in is today, but I haven't left yet)

-The 2 confirmed students were living in dorms and now their roommates are in quarantine.

-I have no where other than on campus to stay at this point. (I live in a different city than my school)

-My parents and a few of my siblings are higher-risk and I don't want to bring the virus back home when I inevitably come back at the end of the semester.

-Although classes are offered live simulcast, labs are not and all of my courses this semester have labs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WHY I SHOULDN'T TAKE THE SEMESTER OFF

-I have only a year and a half left before I graduate and I'd like to graduate soon.

-Some of the Fall courses I have to take will not be offered in the Spring.

-They say it's harder to go back if you take a break

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If I were to take the semester off, I'd use the time to find housing in the city where my campus is. I'd also stock up on PPE. 

Update:

Everything is in order to take or not take the semester. I have all my classes on my schedule, they do not offer virtual labs, however. 

I already spoke to financial aid on what would happen if I took the semester off and there is no issue there. 

Only issues are the ones above. What would you do with these factors?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

taking semester off is akin to getting off boat to take a swim in mid ocean.

• Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Can you be disciplined enough to complete your work online? I suggest getting the degree completed and opting for online courses if you're worried about the virus. 

(20+ years university professor)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.