Stuck in lease now what ?

I signed my lease agreement for a year, I moved out of state to attend university but they shutdown again due to covid. New tenants cannot takeover lease. So I’m stuck, I want to go back to my hometown city and the only thing keeping me here is the lease. This town doesn’t have anything to offer except it’s a college town. Should I just go back home and still pay the rent... I don’t know what to do

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Like any normal person, you simply give written notice of when you're leaving, offer to negotiate with the landlord on what you might owe, pack up and leave.  If they want to sue you for "unpaid rent", they will have the burden of proving that they have "actual damages" caused by your having left early.   Maybe they can rent it to others and have a legal obligation to try to do so. We don't know what your lease says or what your state laws are, assuming you're even talking about a US rental.

• 2 months ago

No one is ever really stuck in a lease, you don't have to stay there and can change your mind however what you must then do is pay all the rent you said you would for the duration so you'd owe them a years rent. If you can't afford that then technically you are stuck there, even though you could still not move in and let them sue you instead.

• 2 months ago

Sure but be sure and keep in touch with the landlord once a month or two because when he is able to rent it to someone else, you don't owe from that month on, to the end of the lease.  Make sure he has your new address so he can mail you a check.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • G R
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Tell me this, how old are you and what city are you in?  Oh and is your name on the lease or your parents?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You need to read the lease & see if it has an early terination clause. Most do.  There is usualy a lease break fee you can pay to leave early.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Go back to school and take the online classes. Then next semester they probably should have face-to-face courses available. My youngest son is in your situation.

• 2 months ago

Wait it out. Best of luck. 

• 2 months ago

What did the landlord tell you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.