Stuck in lease now what ?

I signed my lease agreement for a year, I moved out of state to attend university but they shutdown again due to covid. New tenants cannot takeover lease. So I’m stuck, I want to go back to my hometown city and the only thing keeping me here is the lease. This town doesn’t have anything to offer except it’s a college town. Should I just go back home and still pay the rent... I don’t know what to do

Like any normal person, you simply give written notice of when you're leaving, offer to negotiate with the landlord on what you might owe, pack up and leave.  If they want to sue you for "unpaid rent", they will have the burden of proving that they have "actual damages" caused by your having left early.   Maybe they can rent it to others and have a legal obligation to try to do so. We don't know what your lease says or what your state laws are, assuming you're even talking about a US rental.

No one is ever really stuck in a lease, you don't have to stay there and can change your mind however what you must then do is pay all the rent you said you would for the duration so you'd owe them a years rent. If you can't afford that then technically you are stuck there, even though you could still not move in and let them sue you instead.

Sure but be sure and keep in touch with the landlord once a month or two because when he is able to rent it to someone else, you don't owe from that month on, to the end of the lease.  Make sure he has your new address so he can mail you a check.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • G R

Tell me this, how old are you and what city are you in?  Oh and is your name on the lease or your parents?

You need to read the lease & see if it has an early terination clause. Most do.  There is usualy a lease break fee you can pay to leave early.

• Scott

Go back to school and take the online classes. Then next semester they probably should have face-to-face courses available. My youngest son is in your situation.

Wait it out. Best of luck. 

What did the landlord tell you?