Does it matter what you eat as long as you eat?

My husband and I have an arrangement that we alternate cooking nights so one person is not tasks with cooking every night.  Since we've been home under covid quarantine I'll usually order take out or have Grubhub or Postmates deliver something for dinner.  My husband is the one who prefers to get in the kitchen and actually cook a meal.  Last night was my night and when I got off at 4 I worked out a little then took a shower like I do every day.  When he got off at 6 I asked him what he wanted, pizza or a take out Philly Cheesesteak, I know he loves those.  He looked at me and said, "take out again, can't you just cook something?"  My mind is not on cooking much these days so I was a little hurt by it.  To me the issue is that we're eating.  I guess he wants me to go slave over a stove for a home cooked meal.  Does it matter what you eat compared to as long as you eat?  

P.S. 

I ordered him a cheesesteak and he ate about half of it and put the rest int he fridge for lunch today.  So I still didn't cook.

• ?

He doesn't need you to "slave over a stove". He just wants you to cook him a real meal once in a while.

• Raja

It matters because ordering food has a cost compared to home cooked food .It appears your husband love to eat home cooked food especially when it is prepared by his wife.Any way for a change you may order food rather than cooking .This has to be done with understanding between the two . Further home cooked meal can be healthier compared to what is ordered which may be oily leading to high cholostrol .Do the food preparation according to the convenience of the couple and with better understanding.

• Foofa

Could be he just doesn't like how much you're spending on all this food delivery. But yes, living on nothing but carbs and fat is going to take its toll on you both. Maybe split the difference by ordering your pizza/cheesesteak and then chopping up a healthy salad to go on the side. You're not going to feel very good if you both end up 40 lbs. overweight and pre diabetic by the end of the pandemic. 

So let me get this straight.  You get off at 4 and have time to work out and then shower and wait on him at 6 to get off every day but still do take out 3 or more night s a week?  That defeats the purpose of working out doesn't it?  It's like going to McDonalds and getting the large combo meal then getting a diet Coke.  You have plenty of time to cook within those 2 hours until he gets off.  You just don't want to.  LAZY!  

If your husband cooked you a hamburger for dinner every other night. per your arrangement, would you desire he cook something else just once?  Of course you would, so it does matter what you eat.  Just for the record, no one was demanding you slave over a stove ... or be overly dramatic.

What you eat has a major impact on your health as you age. Your teeth, your bones, your joints, your heart, your brain all starve on fast food. How about you subscribe to one of the half dozen home delivery meal starter services? On your nights to cook, you just open the fridge, pull out the kit..all sliced and diced and nutritionally balanced... complete with directions and pictures and timeline (I think most promise an under 40 minute countdown including the actually cooking time) and completely cut out all "slaving" in the kitchen and instead casually and quickly produce an excellent meal while learning skills at the same time. These are an EXCELLENT boon for working people who don't like to cook. Or who think they don't know how.  Much cheaper than eating out, a bit more than fast food but it's GOOD and fun and (research them) easy. Stop letting him know that you simply don't care. Not caring can become a habit easy to slip into. 

It depends on how important nutrition is to him/you.

And women wonder why their husbands take up with other women.

• n2mama

Does it matter what you eat? For most people the answer to that is yes. This isn’t the first time this has been an issue in your marriage, you and Patrick have both asked questions about it in the past. He likes to cook, you don’t, so on the nights it is your responsibility to provide the evening meal, you order in. That is fine as long as you both are okay with it and you can afford it. It’s pretty clear he isn’t okay with it, and in some of your other questions you’ve talked about financial issues, so it probably isn’t as affordable as you might think it is. 

I know you don’t speak the language of compromise in your marriage, but maybe you could find one here. If you’re responsible for dinner three nights a week,  an you agree that one night is takeout night and the other two you will cook? And if you flat out refuse to cook because you don’t want to, then you and Patrick can decide if you can afford to do takeout that often, if you need to work more hours or a side gig to pay for it, or if he is going to take on the cooking the other nights.

Skimming through your other questions, it seems you and your husband are having a lot of unrelated issues right now.  It also appears most of this is bad communication.  For example, when he made that comment about ordering again, did you take time to understand why this bothers him?  He doesn't get a free pass, because if it does, then he should be telling you why.  I ask because one thing that occurred to me is cost.  Have you ever added up what it costs you over a 10 period to do this 5 times?  These services aren't cheap.

Anyway, when a couple doesn't communicate, it's guaranteed that resentment will build.  It sounds like this happened here.  Your husband never said anything, and then finally he gets passive aggressive and whines about it.  That's not communication. 

I have a feeling the 2 of you need to have a long, serious convo about what's working for you and what isn't. 

Of course it matters.  Setting aside the fact that cooking is generally cheaper, restaurant food is almost always much, much less healthy.  Both pizza and cheesesteak are nutritional nightmares.  They're devoid of anything other than fats and calories.  That kind of diet will kill both of you in the long run.

If you don't feel like cooking, buy some salad kits and rotisserie chicken at the grocery.  Add some chicken to salad to make it heartier.  Or sign up for one of those meal services like Hello Fresh for your days.