Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How low can the psi go on a tire?

Bought a new vehicle yesterday. While at the dealership, salesman tells me theres a nail in the tire and that if i take it down the street, he will have the autobody shop fix it for free. I went this morning and was informed that they need to order a New tire for the car. So it may not be till tomorrow that it gets fixed. That being said, is it safe o go another day with the nail in the tire? I checked the psi which was 32.2. The vehicle needs 35. Is it safe to go on more day like this? I figured i can fill the air up tomorrow before i head out. Its a 2019 Nissan Frontier

The lowest tire pressure you can generally drive is 20 PSI. Anything under 20 PSI is considered a flat tire, and puts you in danger. 

About 10-12 lbs before it flies off the rim if you drive on it,,  If your tires say 32.5..  i try to keep 1.5 pounds more, no matter the tire..  you should obey tire rules and regulations according to tire specs..  i like more than less,, helps me get to my destinations to save lives...   $$$$

We'd see an abrupt end to stupid questions like this if YA removed users ability to post questions anonymously.

And that Kiddies wins the worst trolls story this year!

• Barry

Put 40 lbs in it before the trip.

An advantage of modern tubeless radial tires is that a nail doesn’t make the tire suddenly go flat, and with it in the tire, you end up with a slow leak. You can usually end up getting the distance to get the problem fixed. Be sure to keep checking the pressure in the tire, don’t drive it as normal, only to get to the shop when they get the new tire.

Driving on an extremely low tire makes the handling of the vehicle almost impossible and will quickly tear up the wheel, so don’t drive it if the tire looks really low

Keep the tire pumped up to the correct PSI. You can get atire pump at a hardware or sporting goods store for less than $20. One more day of non-freeway driving should be no big deal. Unless the nail is in the sidewall, patching the tire should fix it- that is if the puncture is just a small nail. Replacing the tire with a new one is probably to maintain the vehicle warranty. Don't let the pressure go down to where the TPMS warning light comes on, which would be 7 PSI different from the rest of the tires. Depending on the rim and tire, a soft tire can roll off the rim when cornering. That can damage the rim too.

WHAT A BULLSHITE STORY that is. No dealership would knowing sell a car with a nail in the tire. They would get it fixed first. I think you're making this up and it's a TROLL QUESTION. If  not, you're an utter idiot for not demanding that they fix it before letting you take the vehicle. Either way, EPIC FAIL, SPARKY. 

• Ron

If I didn't know for a fact that you are trolling I would say that the dealer isn't going to let you go without putting the spare on

• A

keep an eye on it, the nail may be sealing the hole but it could go suddenly flat,