Ray asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Is there a book that teaches you how to be realistic and to avoid fantasy?

I'm asking for a book that basically rejects all my ideas. Horsocopes? Aliens? Ghosts? Reject those ideas. I tend to "want" to believe in those things. i need a book that gives me a blueprint on how to be normal.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Get high quality books from https://bestbookawards.org.uk

• 2 months ago

I’d start with a brilliant book ‘The Eternal Child’ by Clive Bromhall to understand why humans are the way we are.

Then I’d suggest a book about Stoicism, as a practical philosophy of living.

• Spike
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

MAYBE these books.

Organizational Behavior: Science, The Real World, and You by Debra L. Nelson and James Campbell Quick

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, HER Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed by Lori Gottlieb

The Life You Can Save: How to Do Your Part to End World Poverty: 10th Anniversary ed. Edition by Peter Singer 

Threads of Life: A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle by Clare Hunter 

Light on Life: The Yoga Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate Freedom by B.K.S. Iyengar ,

• j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Would note these:

Hyperspace

The First Three Minutes;

A Short History of Nearly Everything;

Einstein's Universe;

The Hidden Reality:  Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos;

The Fabric of Reality.

Five of the six are by physicists; Bill Bryson is a talented explainer.

You might also try reading fiction that supplies some of your alternative reality bias with entertainment:

Illuminae is funny;

likewise, Tree Shepherd's Daughter;

also, Dan Brown's books Digital Fortress, The Lost Symbol, The Da Vinci Code;

and, Studies of the Human Aura, by Kuthumi.

Perhaps this is the book you're looking for:  Predictably Irrational:  The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely;

also, A Warrior's Path by Robert Trivino is very practical and insightful, as is M. Scott Peck's' The Road Less Traveled.

Another humorous book:  Everything's Normal:  The Life and Times of a Soviet Kid which shows how "normal" may be relative.

An understandable philosophy book about how to know the truth:  The Slightest Philosophy, by Quee Nelson.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I second teaching yourself about Science. The belief in those things existed because people lacked actual knowledge, and still do to this day. It's surprising how much schools fail. They fail to teach kids how to read a map, how to use correct grammar and punctuation and true science.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A thorough education in the sciences will help you overcome your tendancy to believe in such foolishness. But to answer your question directly, here is some recommended reading...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8849505-parano...

relativelyinteresting.com/astrology-and-horoscopes-debunked/?utm_source=org

https://www.amazon.com/Extrasensory-Deception-Henr...

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Even though I haven't read the book yet myself, I think that "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan could be just what the doctor ordered - or rather what you'd like the doctor to order for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_Wo...

• Lomax
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

If there were such a book, you'd also need a book that told you how to believe in the first book.

So far as fiction goes, believing in what you "want" to believe is a good thing. Books that are wholly plausible are - all too often - wholly unreadable as well.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't need a book you need to understand Occam's Razor 

(some of it below - read more on wikipedia.org) and see Carl Sagans quotes further down and easiest to understand - but basically be very skeptical and any extraordinary claims need to have extraordinary proof.  Finally start reading James Randi books and I think you will find your skeptical mind opened.

"friar William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347), a scholastic philosopher and theologian who used a preference for simplicity to defend the idea of divine miracles. It is variously paraphrased by statements like "the simplest explanation is most likely the right one". This philosophical razor advocates that when presented with competing hypotheses about the same prediction, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions...... Similarly, in science, Occam's razor is used as an abductive heuristic in the development of theoretical models rather than as a rigorous arbiter between candidate models.[4][5] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result; the preference for simplicity in the scientific method is based on the falsifiability criterion. For each accepted explanation of a phenomenon, there may be an extremely large, perhaps even incomprehensible, number of possible and more complex alternatives. Since one can always burden failing explanations with ad hoc hypotheses to prevent them from being falsified, simpler theories are preferable to more complex ones because they are more testable.

----------------------------------------------------

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” was a phrase made popular by Carl Sagan who reworded Laplace's principle, which says that “the weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness” (Gillispie et al., 1999). This statement is at the heart of the scientific method, and a model for critical thinking, rational thought and skepticism everywhere.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.