Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do many native English speakers ungrammatically pluralize the word ninja as "ninjas"?

When in fact, "ninja" is itself both singular and plural, e.g. one ninja, eight ninja, etc?

Because we speak English and that is how you pluralize it in English and nobody told us what the plural is in Japanese and even if they did it wouldn't matter because we speak English, not Japanese.

WHY?

Because adding an "s" is the standard way in English to form a plural.

As relatively few of us are familiar with the grammar rules in Japanese, we naturally use our own "default" - the final "s".

The answer is simple, there are too many movies and T.V. shows that use the term wrong. The english language is a fickle thing. Buffalo can be said many times in a row and be a grammatically correct sentence. I before E except after C is a "rule" dispite less than fifty words that follow that rule, weird right? Your question is a simple and wasted one, it would be better still to ask why english speakers (native) do not use their (typically) only language correctly online. (please read Facebook posts or You Tube comments for reference) English is an odd language at best and at worst a cursed amalgam of words and phrases from other languages. I hope this helps.

• Brian

Spilling es sew hared, won cane due et.  Sea, eye spill ever thung write.  Me cheek her tolled mi sew.

• Zirp

because using the same word for both plural and singular is stupid!

I thought yous would have figured that out by now

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish!

You really need to know why, or were you correcting the error? If you really want to know the reason, let me know and I'll try to explain it to you.

• Rick

WHO CARES !!!!!    ..................................................