Why are my property taxes so high at 10,000 a year when the house is 360,000$ and i live in ok area?

My house in Skokie, IL has an estimated value of 360,000$ its a 4 bedroom 2600sq 

however i checked my property taxes and its around 10,500$ a year.  I look at more affluent areas in Chicago land and they pay less property taxes than me.

Is there a way i can lower it? 

• n2mama
    Favorite Answer

You can appeal, but you probably will not be successful in getting your taxes lowered. Your tax rate is determined by the county and the city you live in. Some cities have higher tax rates than others. I pay approximately as much in taxes for my home in Glendale Heights as my parents do for their house in Elmhurst, even though their property is worth close to twice what mine is. You should have checked the taxes and tax rate before purchasing your home. 

You can challenge it but you would have to prove that the value of your house is not what the county claims it is worth.  You also risk paying more if while trying to prove that the county has over-valued it, you end up with a valuation more than what the county has the value listed for.

Sounds like an error.  

• LILL

I know many people on long island who own houses in that price range and they pay between $20,000.00 - $25,000.00 a year.  Most democratic states have ridiculously high taxes.

Half that house in NY worth $175,000 will cost you $9,000 in taxes. That sounds cheap to me.

ask the tax collector

Its supposed to be based on your assessed value. You can fight it but its hardly worth the time. Also, your area may have higher school taxes than other areas in the same state.

You can move to Alabama. We have low property taxes. I think mine is about $520 on a $112k valuation.  Milder winters too.

My brother lives in a city where they have higher school taxes so his is a bit higher than mine because of that. (adjusting for value of course)

You also need to make sure you have the homestead exemption. That saves you about half in my area.

What's the millage rate?  If you're in the city then you also pay county taxes too.