In light of Beirut explosion, how safe are the 6000 Nuclear war heads with US military? and do they stock them next to each other?

Update:

From answers it seems none of u know, esp if they are stocked next to each other it make sense if one goes off the rest will go off

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Perfectly safe they like Fertilizer need additions to cause them to go High order

Fertiliser alone would just Burn Nukes would not do anything in a fire except melt

Nuclear weapons by design are safe I was on a Nuclear weapons Squadron in the RAF

• 1 month ago

Please tell me you understand there is a World of difference between how a 3rd World city stores ammonium nitrate in a port storage building for God knows how long and under what conditions and how the US stores and maintains it's nukes. Besides, a nuclear weapon cannot just go off in a nuclear explosion just sitting there, especially in storage.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are extremely safe.

For starters, even if the conventional explosives went off, a nuclear detonation would not occur.

The US military and DOE go to great lengths to prevent even a conventional mishap.

UPDATE:  It appears that I don't know?  I was in the military for 20 years.  I worked around nukes and other explosives.  The US military has extensive rules on how many explosives can be stored in a single structure, has intricate lightning protection systems and other built-in safeguards on those structures, how closely anything can else can be built near any munitions storage areas, rules against bringing spark producing devices into a munitions storage building, etc.  

Nukes are the least of your worries.  As I stated, a nuclear detonation won't occur because of a fire.  Look up Broken Arrows.  Back in the days of airborne nuclear alert, we lost a few loaded bombers.  In none of those instances did a nuclear detonation occur.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.