Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Is it possible to get pregnant 1 week after surgical abortion if had sex one time using the pull-out method?

The details for this are very important. I am 19 years old, my partner is 45.  I met him when I was 17 but we never had sex until a month after my 19th birthday... I will be 20 in a few months, but I have very little sexual experience previous to him. I had been living with a 50 year old lesbian woman (whom I was dating) from age 17-19 (at 19 she went to jail for domestic abuse and i fell in this guys lap after knowing him for 2 years). ANYWAY, we have had sex using the pullout method since November of 2019 and never got pregnant. He always came on the outside of my vagina, which may be a little risky... I trusted him with my entire being... Anyway, I had finished my period 3 days before he and I went on a trip to grandmas house to stay for another 3 days. We had no sex during the almost a week after my period. When we arrived home, he was so excited to finally be able to have sex that he came inside of me without even trying to pull out. I was shocked and asked him why he would ever do that, he said "You just finished your period so you can't get pregnant right now." That wasn't true, but that didn't stop me from believing him...until I got that positive test result.  I got a surgical at 8 weeks and bled for a solid 8 days, woke up this morning with no bleeding and of course, we were excited... We had some amazing sex, but when he pulled out and came on my vagina, I got worried about being pregnant again... Is this likely?? I feel like such an idiot.... 

• Lili

It's unlikely, since you probably hadn't ovulated again yet, but it's not impossible.

The "pull-out" method isn't a "method," and it's a very common way for women to become pregnant. It doesn't work against pregnancy.  Moreover, doctors instruct women not to have sex for WEEKS after an abortion. It can lead to medical complications. Are you claiming that no doctor told you that?

Either you are a troll -- I am suspicious for a number of glaring reasons -- or you are, indeed, an idiot.

Long, detailed, colorful posts like yours are often troll fabrications.  You have no future in fiction.

• Edna

You don't just sound stupid; you are stupid.

You are not supposed to be having sex again only 8 days after having a surgical  abortion (even if you have stopped bleeding) - no more so than you would be supposed to if you had given birth. I'm sure the doctor must have told you that. Just the same as when you give birth, a surgical abortion is going to leave tears and abrasions on the cervix and in the uterus. If you have sex before those tears and abrasions have healed, you run the risk of developing a very serious pelvic infection.

It would be almost impossible for you to get pregnant only 8 days after having an abortion, because it's highly unlikely that you would have resumed ovulation that soon. 

Sex without birth control is the single most popular way to become parents.

Pulling out is not birth control.

It is just a matter of time until you are pregnant again.

• Katy M

You've been having sex since November and think it's an achievement that you didn't get pregnant for six whole months or so?  Use a condom.  You've already killed one baby Don't become a serial killer.

It's extremely unlikely to be fertile that soon after an abortion, but not impossible.  (For the record, it's a myth that you're super-fertile after an abortion or miscarriage, or after giving birth.  When fertility returns, it's your normal fertility.)  And since pulling out isn't a form of birth control, if you were in fact fertile, you'd carry your same 20-25% chance of conception.

But your story changes, so it's obvious this is a trolling scenario anyway.  You refer to surgical abortion in the title, but then say you had your period a week ago.   For the record, a week after your period ends is generally in prime fertility time in a textbook cycle.

And you cant use birth control like a grown adult because?

• y

There is no such thing as the pullout method and the answer yes. After an abortion one can get pregnant fairy quickly. Especially when having unprotected sex.

Just after an abortion or delivery or miscarriage you are extra fertile so a very high chance because he is releasing sperm as soon as he is aroused and when he pulls out he leaves a few thousand sperm as to over 60 million when he does come but it only takes one sperm to get you pregnant, Good Luck