Why would my car's speakers catch fire?

Came outside to my car and heard a noise from inside it. I unlocked the door and found that the noise, which sounded like static, was coming from the speakers. I drove 10 miles into town intending to take it to a repair shop, maybe have them disconnect the wires. A couple blocks from the shop, smoke started coming out of the speaker on top of the dashboard. A block later, flames erupted. They poured a bottle of water onto the fire. Car was a 2003 Eclipse, and I hadn't played the radio or CD player in about 3 years.

Music has been HOT laely,,, ask YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 volts across the voice coil of a speaker is likely to start a fire.  So what failed?  Better remove the radio fuse.

A short to ground will cause that.

The speaker coil shorted.

Something must have shorted out, most likely within the amplifier if you use an external one, or the internal amplifier in the car stereo. It should have blown the fuse, unless the one installed was too big, or not one put in line or bypassed. 

The only thing in the speaker that can do that is its voice coil. It shorted out somehow. Maybe a rat chewed on the wires, causing a short to ground. It will have to come out and wiring checked.