How are local taxes collected?

My question concerns the function of local government in the United States of America. My question is what organization controls the collection of taxes on a local level? I´m aware of the internal revenue service, obviously. But my understanding currently is that the IRS is a strictly federal organization, unless the IRS also works somehow on a local level as well, although knowing Americans, I imagine this would be rather unpopular with American citizens, as they take much pride in the sovereignty of their localities as well as their country at large. Thanks very much in advance, cheers.

• Foofa

Every state has its own taxing mechanisms and some cities and counties do as well. 

• xyzzy

Each state has different tax rates and tax different things so each state has a Department of Revenue (some states use a different name). For instance the Georgia DOR has 964 employees within six divisions and a processing center. The Administrative Division provides administrative services for the department. The Alcohol and Tobacco Division is involved in all aspects regarding alcohol and tobacco sells in the state while the Compliance Division audits tax accounts, enforces compliance with the Public Revenue Code of Georgia, conducts taxpayer education seminars and assists in the collection of taxes.The Department's Local Government Services Division administers property tax laws and oversees much of the local county property tax assessment and collection process. The Processing Center "performs upfront processing for all tax returns received by mail and electronically filed." The Taxpayer Services Division manages taxpayer protests and hearings, administers income tax laws, and administers the Corporate Net Worth Tax.. It works similar to the IRS but at the state level, There also are similar departments at the country and in some cases city level.

• Fin

Much like federal, state taxes are generally taken off your paycheck and then, if necessary, at the end of the year when one files annual taxes.  They can also come off of fees for park entrance fees, property tax and various other forms.

City and county taxes come from vehicle registration (state taxed too), taxes on purchased items (general goods and services), and also a portion of property tax.  I'm probably missing a key tax source for the local entities but those are the chief ones I'm remembering at the moment.

edit: so you can have the state that you're in taxing you, the city, and the county.

You do realize that there are state taxes and municipal taxes, including sales and property taxes, right ?

Thus, there are state and city tax agencies that manage those.

• Rick

same basic way federal and state taxes are, there are forms to fill-out and send-in along with your check ..................