How fast could a horse carriage go?

• Edna
    Favorite Answer

A horse-drawn carriage can travel as fast as the horse pulling it is able to gallop.

An average horse that is in good shape can run at a full gallop at a speed of at around 25-30 mph for a distance of 1 to 1-1/2 miles. Thoroughbred race horses can reach a top speed of around 45 MPH in short distance runs, but a Thoroughbred race horse isn't going to be pulling a carriage.

This would be better if it was worded "How  fast could a horse and carriage go ..for a specific distance."   Over a short distance they could be pretty fast.  Chuck wagon racers get up to 40 mph.  That is a light weight wagon and horses trained to race.  Real life would be more like a fast walk.

Trotters can go very fast.

A horse pulling a racing sulky can exceed 30mph.

Source(s): INTERNET KEYWORD SEARCH. Learn how. It's not exactly rocket science.
  • Katy M

10-15 mph for short periods.  2-3 mph for long periods.

I read an article about horse-drawn fire engines.  The article mentioned that under good conditions they traveled around 12 mph.  (The reason I remember this is that that's my average speed on my bicycle!)

So I'm guessing your average horse/buggy speed was more like 5 or 6 mph.