If your friend reminded you how to use a cup and saucer when drinking tea, would you be offended? ?

My buddy lives overseas and I told him I would visit his elderly mother. I called her and she invited me for tea. 

Next thing my buddy is really happy but in a chat tells me his mother is fussy about tea and and to make sure not to separate your cup and saucer from each other when you visit her. 

I feel like telling him to go fsiks himself. What kind of person does he think I am? What difference does it make if I put the cup on the saucer anyway? 

Does he have a right to tell me this? Should I be annoyed? Both my friend and his mom seem odd if this is what they care about. Thoughts? 

His mother appreciates proper tea etiquette.   Giving you a heads up about a small thing that would make the visit go more smoothly for both of you is totally appropriate IMO. 

Before you get offended, consider someone's intent.

"What difference does it make if I put the cup on the saucer anyway?"    If you don't know the answer, it's no wonder your friend is coaching you on basic etiquette. 

I smell a troll.

Yes, I sure would be offended.